This healthy potato salad has heart-healthy, homemade mayo, so it’s creamy and tasty! Make this easy side dish to serve with your summer meals.
BBQ cookouts and picnics are incomplete without serving a few classic side dishes. The problem is, side dishes like macaroni salad, coleslaw, and potato salad are often loaded with saturated fat and calories.
The good news is, there are some easy ways to lighten up your favourites! Not only are they as tasty as the fully loaded versions, but they are also better for you.
I already have an easy recipe for low carb cauliflower potato salad. To be honest though, you can taste the cauliflower, so it’s not perfect for everyone. When you crave potato salad, it really should taste like potatoes!
This is why I think you will love this healthy potato salad recipe. It tastes like the classic creamy side dish you grew up eating! Want more salad recipes for your next BBQ? Try any of these 50 Healthy Salad Recipes!
Healthy potato salad ingredients
This potato salad recipe includes all of the essential ingredients you might expect to see:
- Potatoes – Potatoes of your choice. Check out the paragraph down below on which ones are “best.”
- Crunchy vegetables – The perfect potato salad needs some crunch. For this recipe, we use sweet bell pepper, red onion, and celery.
- Eggs – For a boost of protein and extra creaminess, we add a couple of eggs to the salad. If you aren’t a fan of them, feel free to leave them out.
- Garnishes – A sprinkle of paprika and parsley add some visual flair
- Dressing – Potato salad dressing can make or break your side dish. Using homemade mayo is better for you. It takes less than 3 minutes to make, and it has heart-healthy avocado oil in it.
What kind of potatoes are best for potato salad?
If you search the Internet for recipes, you’ll notice that some call for starchy potatoes like russets while others use thin skinned, waxy potatoes such as Yukon Gold or baby reds.
The truth is, any type of potato can be used to make this healthy potato salad recipe, including sweet potatoes!
If you like soft, creamy potato salad, use a starchy variety. Thin skinned potatoes hold their shape well, even after cooking. As a result, for additional texture and “bite” to the salad, use waxy potatoes.
Should I peel potatoes before boiling for potato salad?
Cook potatoes whole and unpeeled as this makes potatoes less watery. It takes longer to cook but it’s worth the extra time. When peeled, it lets the potato absorb more water while it’s cooking.
Can I leave the skin on?
If you’re using baby potatoes or potatoes with thin skin, you could keep it on if you prefer. It’s really up to you!
Here are some variations to this healthy potato salad:
- Add bacon for an added crunch.
- Add additional fresh herbs such as chives, dill, basil, thyme, etc. to add more herby flavour to this potato salad.
- Swap the mayo. If you don’t like mayo, you can try using full-fat Greek yogurt.
- If you don’t have Dijon mustard, try yellow mustard.
The steps to making this recipe are pretty straight forward:
- Prep and boil the potatoes, chop the vegetables, make the dressing, and then toss everything together to combine. Finally, refrigerate it before serving.
- Add potatoes to cold water to cook.
- Try to cut your ingredients into similar sizes so you can get a bite of everything with every spoonful.
- Let potatoes cool almost completely before mixing with mayo. The hot potatoes will cause the mayo to melt and become oily.
Can you make potato salad the day before?
- Make it ahead: One important thing to keep in mind is that the colder potato salad is, the better it tastes. Plus, refrigeration allows the ingredients enough time to blend, which means it will have more flavour.
So, if possible, make the salad at least a day ahead of when you plan to serve it. It keeps well in the refrigerator for up to five days.
- Keep it refrigerated: To prevent risk of bacterial growth, anything made with eggs should be kept at a temperature under 40 degrees F. It’s okay to leave potato salad out for up to 4 hours, but if possible, nestle the serving bowl into a larger bowl filled with ice.
Is potato salad freezer-friendly?
Since the potato salad is made with mayo, I do not recommend freezing as it doesn’t freeze well. Once thawed, the consistency will not be the same as well.
Is potato salad healthy?
Potato salad has a reputation for being high in calories. However, you can see in this healthy potato salad that we use healthy ingredients. Potatoes are great for you as they’re a nutrient-packed vegetable. The mayo we use is homemade as well. The mayo is made with wholesome high-quality ingredients and has no filler ingredients like store-bought ones.
What can I serve with potato salad?
Here are a few recipes that goes well with potato salad:
- Chicken Salad with Spicy Mayo (Web Story)
- Portobello Mushroom Bun Burgers with Guacamole
- Salt and Pepper Chicken Wings
- Parmesan Garlic Grilled Corn
Subscribe for new recipes & a free e-cookbook
FOR THE SALAD
- 3 lbs Yukon Gold or Russet potatoes cut into 3/4 -inch cubes
- 1/4 cup red onion chopped
- ½ yellow bell pepper chopped
- 1/3 cup celery chopped
- 2 hard boiled eggs chopped
- 2 tbsp cooked bacon chopped
- ½ teaspoon paprika for topping
- Fresh parsley for topping chopped
- Place potatoes in a large pot and fill this pot with cold water until cover the potatoes. Bring it to a boil. Add salt and cook the potatoes for 15-20 minutes, until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork or pairing knife.
- While the potatoes are boiling, add all the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl and whisk everything together to combine. Taste to check the seasoning.
- Drain potatoes of the water and allow to cool until just able to handle. Peel the skins from the potatoes and chop into 1/2" to 3/4" square pieces.
- Place them in a large bowl and pour the dressing over it. Mix all together until well combined.
- Then, stir in the red onions, bell pepper, celery, hard-boiled eggs and bacon.
- Top with paprika and fresh chopped parsley. Enjoy!
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.