This classic, homemade basil pesto recipe is made with only 5 ingredients. This is a perfect recipe to replace your store-bought pesto.
I have to say nothing beats the power-packed flavor of fresh pesto! You guys will agree with me on this one. Who doesn’t love the smell of this herb and all the flavor it brings to dishes? And who doesn’t enjoy a delicious pesto basil bruschetta with diced tomatoes on top? Or a tasty chicken pesto basil lasagna? Mmm.. Yummy!! We all have lots of reasons to love pesto. So, today I’m sharing with you this homemade basil pesto recipe that you will be able to use in so many dishes and also it will be a lifesaver for those busy weeknights. There are many super easy and fast recipes to make with pesto. For example, I love to cook whole wheat pasta and simply add some basil pesto. Done! Dinner is ready in less than 20 mins.
This homemade basil pesto recipe is very easy to make and you only need 5 ingredients. It is definitely a good alternative for a store-bought product. This tastes beyond better than any processed pesto you can buy. Why? Because it is so fresh and full of fragrance. Another thing I really like about this recipe is that you can control exactly how runny or thick you want your pesto to be. What you need to do is just to add olive oil until you get the desired consistency.
Subscribe for new recipes & a free e-cookbook
So, I hope you give this homemade basil pesto recipe a try and let me know how was it. Now that you know how to make pesto, some of my favourite recipes that I like to use it in are my Pesto Shrimp Tomato Salad, Sweet Potato Pesto Chicken Skillet, Pesto Chicken Salad, Pesto Spaghetti Squash with Shrimp, and Sun-dried Tomato Pesto Shrimp Asparagus Skillet! These are such easy and delicious pesto recipes that you’re not going to want to miss out on!
How to Make Homemade Basil Pesto
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Combine basil, pine nuts, garlic, and parmesan cheese in food processor.
- Pulse the ingredients until combined.
- Slowly pour in olive oil while running food processor.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Make sure the pinenuts are fresh as they will taste bitter if not.
- Add more olive oil if you'd like for the pesto to be more runny. Use less oil if you'd like a thicker pesto.
- Make sure to use a good quality oil as you will be able to taste the oil.
- To store: Store leftover pesto in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- To freeze: Freeze homemade pesto in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.
If you like this How to Make Homemade Basil Pesto post, please share with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.
Leave a Comment