This healthy meatloaf recipe makes a delicious, wholesome, family friendly dinner. It’s juicy and full of flavour. Make it for tonight in just a few simple steps!
Healthy meatloaf recipe ingredients
- Ground chuck – This comes from a different cut than ground beef and is leaner as well. It’s ideal for meatloaf and meatballs because it holds its shape better during cooking.
- Chicken stock or broth – If you need to monitor your salt intake, use low sodium stock
- Tomato paste – Plain, unflavored goes best with this recipe.
- Bread crumbs (you can use almond flour for Whole30, low-carb or gluten-free diets) – These keep the texture light and help retain moisture. Progresso plain dry bread crumbs are my preferred brand.
- Onions – I use white onion, but yellow onion would also work.
- Eggs – These act as a binder to hold all of the meatloaf ingredients together.
- Ketchup – I recommend using sugar-free. I love this one from True Made Foods.
- Worcestershire sauce – The staple ingredient that gives this healthy meatloaf recipe its classic flavor.
- Olive oil
- Seasonings – Dried thyme, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
How to make meatloaf
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the onions and spices and sauté for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. The onions should be soft and translucent, and the spices will be fragrant.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and mix in the liquids and tomato paste. Be sure to gently scrape the bottom of the pan to get any bits that are stuck.
- Next, make the meatloaf mixture. In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, ingredients from the skillet, breadcrumbs, and egg.
- To avoid a dense, heavy meatloaf, use a fork to mix all of the ingredients together. Be sure not to mash or over work the mixture.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Transfer the meatloaf to the pan and gently press into shape. Add ketchup to the top of the loaf, and spread it into a thin layer.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for about 85 minutes, or until the loaf reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees F. After you take it out of the oven, spread on another layer of ketchup before serving.
You may think this recipe doesn’t sound very exciting because I made healthy choice ingredients, but actually you are going to be surprise how flavorful it is. This meatloaf recipe is also protein-packed, iron-rich and very easy to make.
So, you really should give this healthy meatloaf a try. Ah I almost forget to say that it goes really well with roasted green beans, mashed cauliflower, roasted butternut squash mash, Mediterranean mashed potatoes or roasted asparagus or simply with a delicious green salad. Enjoy!
Healthy Meatloaf Recipe
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups white onion — chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 1/2 lb. extra-lean ground chuck or beef
- ½ cup plain dry bread crumbs — use almond flour for low-carb and gluten-free diets.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar-free ketchup — I like this one from True Made Foods.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook over medium-low heat for about 5-7 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Remove the skillet from the heat and add the Worcestershire sauce, chicken stock, and tomato paste. Mix everything together very well.
In a large bowls, add ground beef, sautéed onion mixture, breadcrumbs and egg. Mix all well using a fork. It’s important to use a fork because it will allow the meat mixture to be fluffy and not dense. Do not mash the meat mixture.
Transfer the meatloaf into a loaf pan covered with parchment paper. Spread sugar-free ketchup on top of meatloaf.
Bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until the meatloaf is cooked through and the internal temperature is 160˚F. Remove from the oven and spread more ketchup on top. Enjoy!
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1/6) — Calories: 429, Fat: 25g, Saturated Fat: 9g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 189mg, Sodium: 660mg, Potassium: 126mg, Carbohydrates: 10g, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 5g, Protein: 43g
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!
If you like Healthy Meatloaf Recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you wanna taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, you are really appreciated for stopping by.