Homemade applesauce is so simple to make in your slow cooker! My Slow Cooker Applesauce Recipe only takes 5 simple ingredients and is perfect for using up extra apples you may have.
Fall has arrived! That usually means apple picking season is among us! It’s so much fun to go apple picking with the whole family but I know how it can be a little overwhelming afterwards. There’s only so much apples you can eat in a day before you don’t want anymore.
So why not make applesauce with them? I find that there are a few things in life better than smell of a slow cooker applesauce. The scent of cinnamon and apple wafting throughout the kitchen while it simmers in your slow cooker will have you wanting to make it more often!
This slow cooker applesauce recipe only requires five ingredients: apples, water, cinnamon, lemon, and salt. There is no sugar added to this applesauce. Also, if you don’t count water as an ingredient, it’s really only four ingredients – even more simple! With how simple the ingredient list is, this recipe is also gluten-free, paleo, dairy-free, and vegan. It’s something that everyone can definitely enjoy.
If you’re looking for more ways to use up your apples, try my Pork Chops with Apples and Onions Recipe, Sausage and Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash Recipe, Cranberry Apple Smoothie, and Cranberry Apple Quinoa Salad.
How to make this simple slow cooker applesauce recipe
- Apples – I used Macintosh apples for this applesauce.
- Cinnamon – I recommend a high quality cinnamon as it really helps build a delicious flavour.
- Lemon juice – try to use fresh lemon juice and not bottled. It makes a difference!
- Vegetable peeler – a sharp vegetable peeler makes peeling apples so much easier!
- Chef’s knife
- Cutting board
- Measuring cup
- 5-quart or larger slow cooker
- Immersion blender (optional if you want smooth applesauce like pictured)
Prepare the Apples
Peel the apples with a vegetable peeler. Quarter them through the stem, then cut out the cores before dicing them into small 1- to 2-inch pieces.
Place the apples in a slow cooker and then add the water, cinnamon, lemon juice, and salt before stirring to combine.
Cook the Applesauce in the Slow Cooker and Blend
- Cook on the high setting for 4 hours.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the applesauce until it gets a very smooth texture. However, if you like chunky applesauce you can skip this step.
Tips on using your slow cooker to make applesauce
- Make sure that your apples are diced as uniformly as possible as it helps with it being cooked evenly.
- Make sure you don’t leave any apple seeds in your diced apples when you core it. Apple seeds will make your applesauce taste bitter.
What apples should I use for applesauce?
You can use any apples for applesauce! If you prefer a sweeter applesauce, you can use a sweeter apple such as Fuji or Golden Delicious. If you prefer something more tart and tangy, try Granny Smith. You can even do a mix of different apples if you’d like!
What else can I add to applesauce?
You can also add other warming spices like ginger, nutmeg, or clove to change up your applesauce.
What can I use applesauce for?
Applesauce is a great snack on its own. However, if you have a large batch, you can use applesauce in a variety of ways such as in baking (try my Mini Carrot Bunt Cake Recipe), spread on top of toast, mixed into your morning oatmeal, in smoothies, and more.
In the fridge – Make sure you allow the applesauce to cool fully before storing in an airtight container inside the fridge. You can store homemade applesauce in the fridge for up to a week.
In the freezer – Once cooled, transfer your slow cooker applesauce into a freezer space container or bag, making sure to squeeze out any extra air in the bag. It should keep for a couple of months in the freezer when stored correctly.
More recipes that uses apples and applesauce
- Sausage Stuffed Mushroom Recipe
- Chopped Red Cabbage Kale Salad
- Quick Easy Fruit Salad Recipe
- Green Juice
- Almond Flour Cranberry Muffins
Slow Cooker Apple Sauce Recipe
- 3 lbs apples — I used Macintosh
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon — optional (add more or less according to your taste)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Peel the apples with a vegetable peeler. Quarter them through the stem, then cut out the cores. Dice the apples into 1- to 2-inch pieces.
Place the apples in a slow cooker and then add the water, cinnamon, lemon juice, and salt. Stir all the ingredients well to combine.
Cook on the high setting for 4 hours.
Using an immersion blender, puree the applesauce until it gets a very smooth texture. However, if you like chunky applesauce you can skip this step.
Let the applesauce cool to room temperature, serve and enjoy!
Store in airtight containers (I prefer to use glass containers) in the refrigerator for up to 7 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1/4) — Calories: 178, Fat: 0.6g, Saturated Fat: 0.1g, Sodium: 150mg, Carbohydrates: 42g, Fiber: 9g, Sugar: 35g, Protein: 1g
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!