This hearty, healthy, and comforting Sweet Potato Chicken Soup is made in less than 30 minutes. It’s also Whole30, gluten-free, and paleo-friendly.
My one-year-old boy and I got a strong cold (you probably already know about that if you read the Warm Bacon Lentil Salad and the Shrimp Vegetable Skillet recipe posts) and just yesterday, my husband got the cold too. Now three of us are sick. Not funny AT ALL. I was so tired yesterday that I felt like staying on the sofa for the entire day. So, that’s exactly what Thomas, my son, and I did. We watched tv, more specifically, cartoons all afternoon 😉
My husband got home a little earlier and asked, “what for dinner”? Oh boy … he didn’t even wait for me to answer his question and said, “I’m going to buy some food!” I happily said, “great idea!” And he bought a flavorful roasted chicken for dinner and some bread. I ate the chicken with a salad and he made a sandwich for himself. Thomas preferred his banana apple puree baby food.
Since we had leftovers and Thomas was feeling much better, I could make us this delicious sweet potato chicken soup. When we are sick, the best thing to eat is a warm, hearty, and healthy bowl of soup. Don’t you agree? This soup is ultra-easy even someone who has a strong cold like me can make it. So I made this sweet potato chicken soup for us and we all loved it. Even Thomas ate and asked for more!! I couldn’t believe!! I was so happy!
Also, I decided to make it with lots of sweet potatoes because it’s packed with vitamin A, which is great as an immune booster. This is a quick weeknight Sweet Potato Chicken soup that will be good for all your family. It’s gluten-free, kid-friendly, whole30 and paleo (if you don’t add the peas)! Because this soup is loaded with sweet potatoes, it is very filling and perfect for heating up for lunch the next day. It also stays good in the fridge for up 4 days. Enjoy!
Sweet Potato Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup celery — chopped
- 1 cup red onions — diced
- 1 garlic clove — minced
- 2 cups sweet potato — diced
- 5 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked chicken — shredded
- ¼ cup peas — (don't add peas if you are on Whole30 and paleo diet)
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Fresh parsley — chopped for garnishing
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over high heat. When the oil is hot, turn the heat down to medium.
- Add onion and celery. Sauté for 5-7 minutes or until the onions are soft and translucent. Don’t forget to stir occasionally.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add sweet potato, chicken broth, and crushed tomato.
- Bring to a boil and simmer partially covered for 10-15 minutes or until the sweet potato is soft.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except the fresh parsley) and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Taste and add any extra seasonings, if necessary.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley before serving.
If you make this recipe, please don't forget to snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I really want to see!
If you like this Sweet Potato Chicken Soup recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.
More soup recipes to try!