This Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili is made with a mixture of extra-lean ground turkey, sweet potato, onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, and beans. It is a perfect hearty bowl of chili for a cold day!
For me, there’s nothing that says “winter” like a bowl of slow cooker chili. These days have been very cold and the only thing I would like to eat is warm and comforting foods like chili. So here I am again with one more chili recipe, but this time, I tried to make it even healthier by adding sweet potato. I also used extra-lean ground turkey since it has lower fat content.
I would have never thought that sweet potatoes would be good in a chili, but they are really tasty! It makes it slightly sweet and I love my chili just a bit sweet. It’s also thick and meaty, full of beans, and sweet potatoes that are simmered in a hearty tomato-based sauce in the slow cooker. This time I made a double batch and my husband and I ate it for lunch all week. But you can also freeze the extras for a busy night or for lunches.
For this Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili recipe, I used my slow cooker that has an awesome automatic switch to warm and comes with this Little Dipper for warming dips and keeping sauces at desirable serving temperature. I totally love my slow cooker to make delicious and comforting food especially now that the weather is really cold.
Want to browse all of my healthy recipe posts? Follow my Primavera Kitchen Board on Pinterest!!! I also have great Pinterest Boards such as Healthy Dinner, Healthy Pasta Meal, Healthy Slow Cooker Meals and Soups and Stews. I hope you enjoy all the delicious and healthy recipes I have there!!
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onions
- 2 garlic cloves - minced
- 1 lb extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 cup red bell pepper - seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 cups sweet potato - diced
- 1 can (19 oz/ 540 ml) diced tomatoes - undrained
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can (19 oz/540 ml) red kidney beans - drained and rinsed
- Chopped green onions for garnishing
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes, then add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds longer.
- Add extra-lean ground turkey and cook, breaking up the turkey with a wooden spoon, until the turkey is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Pour browned ground turkey into slow cooker.
- Add red bell pepper, celery, carrots, sweet potato, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, 1/2 cup chicken broth, red pepper flakes, cumin, paprika, coriander, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Stir mixture, cover with a lid and cook on low heat for 5 - 6 hours.
- Add red kidney beans and allow to heat all the way through, about 10 minutes.
- Top with green onions.
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!
If you like this Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.
Try one more Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes!