This gluten and dairy free almond cake with berries is made with almond flour and it is fluffy, light, and very moist cake!
Today is a very exciting day on my blog because it is the 1st year blogiversary for Primavera Kitchen!! It was actually on May 26 of 2014 that I shared my first recipe. I remember like it was yesterday. I was a little shy to share this recipe with my friends. I called my sister and she said “when will you release your blog?? Please stop postponing it. I am excited to see it” and I said “fine… I was going to share on my facebook now”. Since then, I’ve been posting my recipes and it has been making me so happy.
For those who have ever read the post about my writing process and my about page (where I explain with details why I started this blog) I will summarize here a little bit about the beginning of Primavera Kitchen. My husband was diagnosed with pre-diabetes so I decided to help him and together we changed our eating habits by avoiding white carbs, refined sugar and trans fat as much as possible. I also became more curious about foods in general and what we should be eating or not.
I read and researched about this topic to help me understand a lot more about nutrients and what functions they provide to our body. After all that homework, I am glad that eating healthier has paid off since my husband now is back to his normal levels of glycaemia and blood pressure is awesome, and I realized how important it is to eat quality food.
While we were in this process of getting on track to a healthier lifestyle, I was always sending pictures of my recipes to my family in Brazil and they were asking me to send the recipes. Then I thought it would be much more interesting to create a food blog to share my recipes not only with my family, but also with more people. So, I created Primavera Kitchen and since then I’ve be inspiring people to make more homemade food and healthier dishes. Today, this blog motivates me to learn more about cooking and healthy eating and I’m extremely proud of what I’ve accomplished.
This blog really helps me a lot. When I am not working I am blogging and it makes me really busy during the days. I don’t have much time to have bad thoughts (thoughts that put you down). I am most of the time trying to be productive and not waste my time with things that are not very important. This blog also keeps me occupied. My husband travels a lot for work and when he is not here I am most of the time working on my blog and trying to make it even better. I also miss a lot my family who lives in Brazil and my blog helps me with this too.
Now, that’s not to say that I haven’t had my ups and downs. Of course, I’ve had many recipe fails, big recipe errors or typoes and unproductive days. But I’ve been learning to take those moments and turn them into good energy.I just would like to say Thank You from the bottom of my heart for those who read, comment and make my recipes. You guys don’t have any idea how happy I am when I receive an email or a comment saying that you actually made my recipe and enjoyed it a lot. A HUGE thank you to all of you who find my recipes great enough to share with your family and friends. I am also very grateful for all my blogger friends, who I feel so privileged to have met and be able to call my friends. It’s just awesome. Finally I’m even more grateful for all the support from my husband, who is the editor and the recipe taster of this blog. Without his support, this blog could not exist. And my mom and my sister who have always motivated me to keep posting. I love you guys 😉
Now, in honor of my 1 year blogiversary, I’m sharing with you this gluten, dairy free and delicious almond cake with berries. This is the first time I made an almond flour cake and it turned out really good. The fresh berries on top bring this cake to another level! But, before we go to the recipe, let me give you some tips to make this even more delicious:
- For this cake I used the almond meal from Bob’s red meal to make this and loved it! It worked great in this cake!
- Please, don’t forget the parchment paper because it is to keep the cake from sticking to the bottom and sometimes to help to keep it from getting too dark.
- The egg whites should be very fluffy; this will keep the cake light.
- You can substitute almond extract for vanilla.
I am sure you will not be able to resist this Almond Cake with Berries and eat 3 slices easily. It was perfect and I wanted to eat the whole thing myself! In fact I ate three slices. What a shame… hahahhaha! I really hope you enjoy this fluffy, light, moist and delicious almond cake because this is easy, amazing and healthy!! Thanks so much for reading this long post 😉
If you’re in the mood for more cake, try my Low-carb Almond Flour Chocolate Cake, Low-Carb Flourless Chocolate Cake, and Paleo Chocolate Pumpkin Cake. I hope you enjoy! Life is all about balance so I like to enjoy some healthier meals throughout the day so I can indulge in the evening. Healthy Breakfast Meal Prep Bowls and Coconut Berries Oatmeal Recipe are my latest go-to ways to start the day with.
Let’s make this Almond Cake with Berries!
Almond Cake with Berries Recipe
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
- Grease a 9-inch baking pan with nonstick spray. Then sprinkle two tablespoons of gluten-free all-purpose flour or almond meal flour.
- Set the pan on a piece of waxed or parchment paper and trace around it with a pencil. Cut with kitchen scissors inside the traced line on the paper. Fit the cut piece of paper into the pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and 2/3 cup of the sugar. Whisk until the yolks become pale in color, about 1 minute. Add the vanilla extract, and whisk well to combine. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a standard electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites at medium speed for about 1 minute. Sprinkle in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar, and continue to beat the egg whites until they are very white, firm and fluffy. The eggs whites will be ready when you turn the bowl upside down and the egg whites don’t fall out.
- Add half of the egg whites to the egg yolk mixture and mix to combine.
- Add the remaining egg whites over the yolks, and half of the almond flour.
- Gently fold them into the yolks.
- Add the remaining almond flour and fold until you have a homogeneous batter.
- Here you need to be very gentle. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake for about 40 minutes. The cake will be ready when it is golden brown and when a toothpick is inserted in the center and comes out clean. Let the hot cake cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then run a butter knife along the edges of the cake pan.
- Place a wire rack over the top of the cake and flip the cake and the pan. Peel away the parchment paper.
- Turn the cake right side up and allow to cool completely.
- Spread the melted chocolate over the top and add some fresh berries.
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!
If you like Almond Cake with Berries recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you wanna taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google +, Instagram and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, you are really appreciated for stopping by.