You’ll never believe that this super moist and rich chocolate pumpkin cake is actually healthy. It’s gluten-free and made with peanut butter, almond flour, pumpkin puree and coconut milk.
I have to start this post saying that neither my husband nor me are big fans of pumpkin. Well, we like my pumpkin Alfredo sauce and also my pumpkin bread, but since I made this Paleo Chocolate Pumpkin Cake, I think pumpkin is REALLY growing on me. After trying this cake even my husband changed his mind about pumpkin. He actually loved it. He ate almost the whole cake by himself! I couldn’t believe it! Oh let’s not forget to say that my 18 months old boy is now addicted to this cake (I always give it to him without the chocolate frosting on top).
For this reason I’m very excited to share this Chocolate Pumpkin Cake recipe with you today. I actually couldn’t wait any more to post this recipe. Simply because this pumpkin cake is super moist thanks to the homemade pumpkin puree. Also, it has a delicious fall flavour since it’s full of spices such as cinnamon and the ground cloves.
I love to bake with puree veggies because they always give a very rich texture to any cake. On top of that the pumpkin puree brings lots of nutrients to each bite. And I also used almond and coconut flour to make this Paleo Chocolate Pumpkin Cake gluten-free and bring more nutritional value for you.
This cake has also a delicious chocolate frosting on top and it’s dairy-free. I made it with dark chocolate and coconut milk from the can because it has more fat than the coconut milk from the carton. Hmm… So good! I guarantee that this Paleo Chocolate Pumpkin Cake will become your favourite fall cake for the holidays. Enjoy!
Love this Paleo Chocolate Pumpkin Cake recipe? Let’s try to make it!
Paleo Chocolate Pumpkin Cake
Wet ingredients for the cake
- ½ cup homemade pumpkin puree or canned pumpkin puree
- ½ cup almond butter — or peanut butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Dry ingredients for the cake
For the frosting
- 6 tablespoons coconut milk from a can — full fat
- 1 cup dark chocolate bar — chopped ou chocolate chips
For the cake
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F and grease an 8x8 square cake pan with coconut oil. Then place a piece of parchment paper on the bottom of the cake pan, leaving an overhang on the sides to lift the cake out when it’s done. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl add all the wet ingredients and mix well until combined.
- In another medium bowl add all the dry ingredients and mix everything well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir well.
- Transfer the batter to the greased pan and bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted in the center and comes out clean.
- While the cake is in the oven, make the chocolate frosting (recipe below).
- Let the cake cool in the pan before cutting into squares.
- Gently spoon chocolate frosting onto the top of the cake squares. Enjoy!
For the frosting
- In a heatproof bowl, add dark chocolate over simmering water.
- When the chocolate is starting to melt, add the coconut milk and mix well until all is combined and smooth.
- Allow the chocolate frosting to cool before icing the cake.
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1/9) — Calories: 294, Fat: 19.4g, Saturated Fat: 7.9g, Cholesterol: 39mg, Sodium: 201mg, Carbohydrates: 25.4g, Fiber: 3.4g, Sugar: 19.6g, Protein: 7.8g
If you make this recipe, please don't forget to snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I really want to see!
And if you like this Paleo Chocolate Pumpkin Cake recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you wanna taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google +, Instagram and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, you are really appreciated for stopping by.