Cauliflower rice is a quick and easy way to replace starchy rice in any dish. This recipe is a light and flavorful way to get more veggies on your plate.
Cauliflower is such a versatile that allows you create lots of different recipes with it. Check out some of my other cauliflower recipes such as this Spicy Chicken with Cauliflower Rice, Easy Cauliflower Fried Rice Recipe, Golden Cauliflower Rice Recipe, Italian Sausage Cauliflower Rice Skillet and Mushroom Cauliflower Rice Skillet Recipe too. They’re all super easy to make and healthy too.
This recipe takes just ten minutes to make and is a great alternative to carbs. This recipe is an easy holiday side dish. It’s vegetarian and vegan friendly, making the perfect Easter or Thanksgiving recipe to share.
The bright taste of the vegetables topped with pesto and hemp seeds is low-carb and gluten free. That means it fits great into the paleo or Whole30 eating plans.
How to make cauliflower rice
This rice is an easy and quick replacement for carb-heavy white rice. In recipes like this, we combine it with zucchini and pesto for amazing flavor.
Knowing how to make it is a great skill. You’ll make this frequently!
- Cut the cauliflower into florets. Cut the head of cauliflower into quarters and cut out the inner core. Then you will be able to pull the florets apart with your hands. Only use the core in making rice if it is tender.
- Pulse the florets in a food processor with the blade attachment. Don’t overfill the food processor or it won’t cut the cauliflower evenly. You can do this in batches if you have a lot of cauliflower. If you don’t have a food processor, you can use a box grater instead.
- Cook the rice in a skillet with olive oil. For this dish, I start the onion, zucchini and seasonings first, then add the cauliflower rice. The rice only takes five to eight minutes to cook, depending on how tender you want it to be.
You can also use this raw. It’s a great topping for salads or other cold dishes.
How long is cauliflower rice good for?
It’s easy to make it in large portions. You can rice several heads of cauliflower at one time and store what you aren’t going to use right away.
Uncooked cauliflower rice should be stored in an airtight container. It can be stored in the refrigerator for four days or the freezer for two months.
This is a great meal prep solution. Having several servings of riced cauliflower in the freezer eliminates the need to prep it each time.
Simply set it on the counter for an hour to thaw before you plan to cook it.
Once you know how to make this healthy recipe, it is a quick ten minute side dish. It’s a perfect way to get another serving of vegetables in your diet and a delicious replacement for starchy white rice.
Other ideas for seasoning are:
- Mediterranean with red pepper flakes, lemon juice and parsley
- Fried rice with broccoli, carrots and peas seasoned with ginger and soy sauce
- Tabbouleh where you replace the traditional bulgar with cauliflower rice
- Mexican with jalapenos, lime juice, cumin and cilantro
Easy Zucchini Cauliflower Rice
- Pulse the cauliflower florets in a food processor for about 25-30 seconds until it’s a rice-like consistency. Set aside.
- Add oil on pot or skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion for about 5 minutes. Then add zucchini, garlic powder, salt and black pepper. Cook for about 4 minutes.
- Add riced cauliflower and mix everything well. Cook until tender.
- When it’s time to serve, top with hemp seeds and fresh chopped parsley.
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!