Make this Slow Cooker Italian Sausage and Peppers today and enjoy all the Italian flavors. It’s very filling, and you can have it on its own or as an easy add-on to zucchini pasta, regular pasta, cauliflower rice, regular rice, mashed cauliflower or potatoes and of course sandwiches.
You all seem to be enjoying my latest Italian Sausage and Peppers recipe that I decided to recreate a new version of this recipe for you. This Slow Cooker Italian Sausage and Peppers are absolutely the perfect combination of juicy and spicy Italian sausage with the sweetness of bell peppers and the onions. It’s so good that I bet you’ll be eating it for dinner and/or lunch like there is no tomorrow! And I promise you won’t get tired of it 😉 I’ve also been making this Italian Sausage Tomato Sauce Recipe lately so if you’ve got extra, you should try it as well, along with my Low-Carb Sheet Pan Sausage and Veggies!
How to make this Slow Cooker Italian Sausage and Peppers:
You have two ways to make this recipe. One is using a cast iron skillet and slow cooker and the other way is using only a slow cooker (throw everything in the slow cooker and let it cook by itself). However, if you want my honest opinion, I think the first option is better because the sausages will have a nice crust that you get from sautéing them in the cast iron. This is how I make this Slow Cooker Italian Sausage and Peppers:
- In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. When the skillet is very hot, add sausage links, and cook for about 2 minutes each side. This step is very important to give the sausages a nice crust. Then, place them on a cutting board, slice them and place in the slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, add onions and cook for about 2 minutes. If you need pour more olive oil and stir constantly. Then add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Transfer onions and garlic to the slow cooker.
- Again in the same skillet add mushroom and cook for 2 minutes or until they get a nice golden color. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Now in the slow cooker, add bell pepper, tomato sauce, salt and black pepper. Cover and cook for 5 hours on low or 3 hours on high, or until sausages are cooked through and tender. Top with parsley before serving.
Can sausage and peppers be frozen?
Yes, absolutely! Sausage and peppers freeze very well. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months. It’s even more delicious on the second day. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat gently on the stove before serving.
How long do sausages take to cook in slow cooker on high?
It will take about 2-3 hours on high and 5-6 hours on low. I love how easy it is to make this in the slow cooker. Want another slow cooker recipe? Try my Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato!
Do you have to cook sausages before putting in slow cooker?
No it’s not necessary, but I think if you sauté the sausage in the skillet before putting in the slow cooker, it will add an extra flavour to this dish and the sausage will look delicious.
Can I use pre-cooked sausage to this recipe?
No, I really don’t think it’s a good idea. The best sausage to make this Slow Cooker Italian Sausage and Peppers recipe is the uncooked Italian sausage in its casing and you can use either sweet Italian sausage or hot Italian sausage recipes. It’s totally up to you.
How to Serve Crock Pot Sausage and Peppers
- My husband loves this recipe with roasted bun and provolone cheese on top.
- It’s also delicious with zucchini noodles or even regular noodles if you’re not on a low-carb/whole30/paleo diets.
- You can also serve over cooked brown rice or cauliflower rice.
- Mashed cauliflower, mashed butternut squash or regular mashed potatoes are great options too.
- Or you can have it on its own with a side of roasted vegetables. Delicious!
More Sausage Recipes to Try:
Slow Cooker Italian Sausage and Peppers
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb fresh Italian sausage links - nitrate-free - (or 6 medium Italian sausage links in their casing)
- 1 medium onion - cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 3 cloves garlic
- 8 oz (227) white mushroom - sliced
- 2 red bell pepper - cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 1 1/2 cup any tomato sauce - (I prefer homemade tomato sauce or you can use 28oz can of crushed tomatoes)
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnishing
- Over medium-high, heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add sausage links, and cook for about 2 minutes each side, just until they get brown (but the sausage will not be cooked though). Place them on a cutting board, slice them and place in the slow cooker.
- Add onions and cook for about 2 minutes. Stir constantly. Then add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Transfer onions and garlic to the slow cooker.
- In the same skillet add mushroom (if necessary pour more olive oil in the skillet) and cook for 2 minutes or until they get a nice golden color. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add bell pepper, tomato sauce, salt and black pepper to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook for 5 hours on low or 3 hours on high, or until sausages are cooked through and tender.
- Top with parsley. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!
Watch the Web Story HERE.