This easy coleslaw salad recipe combines fresh vegetables with a homemade dressing. Make it today for a healthy side dish or to take to a potluck!
Homemade coleslaw is an easy way to get your daily servings of vegetables year-round. It’s light, refreshing, and can be served alongside a variety of meals.
Plus, the longer this salad sits, the better the flavors get. That makes it a great make-ahead dish for barbecues or meal prep.
If you like this coleslaw recipe, try my Super Easy Brocolli Kale Slaw. It’s a healthier version of a classic broccoli slaw, and it’s Whole30 and sugar-free.
How to slice cabbage for coleslaw
First, remove any tough or damaged outer leaves. Then, rinse and dry the cabbage or use a salad spinner after it’s been sliced.
Slicing by hand:
- Use a sharp knife to cut the cabbage in half through the stem, then again to make quarters.
- Hold the bottom of each quarter against a cutting board and cut at an angle to remove the stem.
- Lay one quarter on its side and slice across it widthwise to make thin shreds. For longer pieces, cut lengthwise.
- Repeat with each quarter until the whole cabbage has been sliced.
Using a mandolin:
- Cut the cabbage into quarters and remove the stem as instructed above.
- Adjust the blade on the mandolin to the correct thickness, then run the cabbage over the blade with one of the flat sides facing down.
- Continue with the remaining quarters. Be careful not to cut your fingers as you get to the end of the wedge, and you may need to finish those with a knife.
How to make this easy coleslaw salad recipe
Simply slice and shred the vegetables, then toss with a creamy homemade dressing. It only takes about 15 minutes!
- White cabbage, thinly sliced
- Red cabbage, thinly sliced
- Large carrot, peeled and shredded
- Green onions, thinly sliced
- Mayonaisse, preferably homemade
- Apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper
Mix the dressing
Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a mason jar and shake well to combine.
You can also whisk everything together in a bowl if that’s easier.
Prep the vegetables
Slice the cabbage and green onions, then peel and shred the carrot.
Add the cabbage and carrots to a large bowl and mix until well combined.
Finish and serve
Then, pour the dressing over the bowl and toss to coat. Top with green onions.
You can serve it immediately, but it’s best if you let it sit in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. This way the vegetables can soak in the dressing and all of the flavors will combine.
- Cabbage substitute – If you can’t find white cabbage, regular green cabbage will work as well.
- Storage – Keep covered in the refrigerator and use within 3-5 days.
- More texture – Try adding slivered almonds, chopped apple, and raisins or other dried fruit.
- Add protein – Mix in some shredded chicken or grilled shrimp to turn this into a full meal.
More Cabbage Recipes:
- Cabbage Steak Recipe
- Cabbage and Sausage Stew
- One-Pan Chicken and Cabbage (Meal-Prep)
- Spicy Chicken with Sauteed Cabbage and Zucchini Bowls
- Broiled Salmon with Cabbage and Green Beans (Meal-Prep)
Easy Coleslaw Salad
For the Salad
- 4 cups white cabbage - thinly sliced
- 3 cups red cabbage - thinly sliced
- 1 big carrot - peeled and shredded
- 2 green onions - root end removed and sliced thin
FOR THE DRESSING
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a mason jar. Close with the lid and shake well.
FOR THE SALAD
- Place all white cabbage, red cabbage and carrot in a large bowl and mix well.
- Pour the dressing and mix well to evenly coat everything.
- Top the salad with chopped green onions.
- Serve immediately or place it in the fridge for about 30 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!