Chicken Stroganoff with Butternut Squash Mash is delicious, creamy, hearty, healthy and with lots of comfort flavors. This easy dinner is perfect for a busy weeknight and it’s also dairy-free and low-carb! The chicken is cooked in a creamy mushroom sauce, and served over butternut squash mash for a simple weeknight dinner.
Growing up in Brazil, I used to have stroganoff de frango (chicken stroganoff) at my auntie house many times. Although, stroganoff is a traditional Russian dish, made with beef and sour cream and served over egg noodles, in Brazil stroganoff de frango is a very popular recipe that many families make for lunch. But, there this recipe is made with chicken, heavy cream and served over fluffy white rice and topped with potato shoestrings. OMG as a kid, potato shoestrings were my favourite part of this dish 😉
I love this dish and I still have it to this day, however I cook chicken stroganoff with a few twists to make this dish healthier. My new healthier version of this chicken stroganoff is a more nutritious way to enjoy this classic and delicious dish.
I’ve changed things around for this Chicken Stroganoff with Butternut Squash Mash recipe because I didn’t use heavy creamy. For this recipe I used coconut milk to give the recipe a rich flavour, a creamy texture and to bring extra nutrients since coconut milk is packed with good fats and it’s good source of several vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, folate, iron, magnesium and potassium.
You can find canned coconut milk in the Asian section of your local grocery store or at Amazon as well. Do not use coconut milk from the carton because it won’t help to make this chicken stroganoff creamy. Instead it may become watery. If you use dairy in this recipe, I have this other healthier chicken stroganoff recipe that it’s made with Greek yogurt instead of heavy cream that I think you will like it too.
Ingredients you will need to make this Chicken Stroganoff with Butternut Squash Mash:
- Olive oil
- White Mushroom
- Onions,any kind you prefer
- Organic chicken breast
- White wine (skip if you’re doing Whole30)
- Tomato Sauce
- Coconut milk
- Dijon mustard
- Butternut Squash
How to makeChicken Stroganoff with Butternut Squash Mash:
This is one of the easiest recipes to make during the busy weeknights that will please your entire family. All you need to do is:
- In a large pot or skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat until the pan smokes just a bit, which is a sign that it’s properly heated.
- Then, add mushroom and sauté for about 5 minutes or until they get brown and crispy. Add onions and garlic and cook until browned.
- Add chicken and season with salt and pepper or even if some chilli pepper just to add more flavour if you prefer. Cook through, about 5 minutes. The time will depend on the thickness of chicken cubes.
- Pour white wine in the pan and cook for 3 more minutes and then, add tomato sauce and Dijon mustard and cook for 2 minutes.
- Finally, pour coconut milk, parsley and cook for one more minute. Done!
- Click here to see how to make butternut squash mash.
5 Reasons why you should make this Chicken Stroganoff with Butternut Squash Mash:
- It’s a perfect weeknight meal that it’s packed with flavours.
- It’s made start to finish in under 40 minutes.
- If you don’t use wine this recipes becomes Whole30 compliant and paleo too.
- It’s low-carb and gluten-free.
- It’s made with simple and easy ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry.
- This Chicken Stroganoff with Butternut Squash Mash goes well with rice, pasta, zucchini noodles, mashed potatoes and any other type of vegetable mash you prefer such as sweet potato, butternut squash and cauliflower mash.
I serve this recipe with butternut squash mash instead of egg noodles, because always when I can, I love to replace white carbs for veggies. You can also serve it with cauliflower mash, zucchini noodles, cauliflower rice or if you love your carbs, serve it over rice too.
More Butternut Squash Recipes to Try:
- 20-minutes Butternut Squash Soup
- No Bean Whole30 Butternut Squash Chili
- Ground Beef Butternut Squash Kale Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash Cauliflower Salad
- Italian Sausage Stuffed Butternut Squash
- Rice with Roasted Butternut Squash and Dried Cranberries
- Fusilli with Mushroom and Roasted Butternut Squash
Chicken Stroganoff with Butternut Squash Mash
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz mushroom — sliced
- 1 cup white onions — diced
- 4 tbsp garlic — minced
- 2 cups free range organic chicken breast — diced
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup coconut milk from a can
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup ½ cup parsley — chopped
- Serve over butternut squash mash (recipe here)
In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
Add mushroom and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add onions and garlic and cook until browned.
Add chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook through, about 5 minutes. It can take less or more minutes. The time will depend on the thickness of chicken.
Add white wine and cook for 3 minutes.
Now it is time to add one cup of tomato sauce and Dijon mustard and cook for 2 minutes.
Pour coconut milk and parsley cook for one more minute.
Serve over butternut squash mash.
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1/4) — Calories: 198, Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 44mg, Sodium: 392mg, Potassium: 420mg, Carbohydrates: 12g, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 4g, Protein: 19g
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!