Chicken vegetable soup is a comfort food we all crave in the winter. This warm satisfying recipe is turned into a healthier soup with lots of fresh veggies. It’s an ultra-flavorful soup to stay healthy. It’s also gluten-, grain-, and dairy-free as well as paleo and whole30!
We love soup during the cold weather and that’s why our site is loaded with delicious soups such as: Sweet Potato Chicken Soup, Turkey Vegetable Soup, Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup, Healthy Meatball Vegetable Soup and Ground Beef Butternut Squash Kale Soup.
I was looking at my other soup recipes here on the blog like Turkey Sausage Vegetable Soup, Ground Turkey Soup with Veggie Roots, Kale Tomato Tortellini Soup, Pasta Soup with Sweet Potato and Peas, Ground Turkey White Bean Kale Soup, and Spinach Sweet Potato Soup and I realized all my posts always say the same thing: Soup is my favorite kind of meal during the winter season. I also say I don’t mind having soup all year long even when the weather is really hot. I don’t know what it is, but there is something about soups that just make me crave them more and more every time I have one.
This new chicken vegetable soup that I’m posting today it’s naturally gluten free with no noodles. I use sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes to increase the vitamins and minerals.
It’s made with fresh veggies and meat so it’s Whole30 approved. Chicken and vegetable soup is satisfying while still providing lots of protein and whole ingredients.
Ingredients to make Chicken Vegetable Soup:
- Olive oil or any other type of healthy oil you prefer
- Bell pepper
- Zucchini (if you’ve got extra zucchini, you should try my Spicy Chicken with Sauteed Cabbage and Zucchini Bowls!)
- Sweet potato
- Diced tomatoes from a can
- Tomato Paste
- Dried Italian seasonings
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Organic and Whole30/Keto friendly vegetable broth
- Cooked chicken
- Fresh green beans
- Fresh parsley for garnishing
As you can see by the ingredients, this soup is like a main course since it’s loaded with veggies and good quality protein. I can guarantee to you that you will feel very satisfied.
How do you make chicken vegetable soup recipe?
This classic comfort food can be on the table in just 30 minutes, using only one pot. I use chicken that has already been cooked. Leftover chicken or chicken that you meal prepped earlier in the week can be used in this chicken vegetable soup recipe. This soup is very easy to make although you will need a little bit of time to chop all the ingredients.
- Saute onion, carrot, and pepper in olive oil until they are soft and the onions are translucent. This will take about five minutes.
- Add the garlic.
- Add the zucchini, sweet potatoes, tomato paste, broth and seasonings. Let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the chicken and green beans and cook for another five minutes. Done! Isn’t that easy? You will have food on the table in less than 30 minutes. This Chicken Vegetable Soup definitely will make you feel warm and happy 😉
Can you put raw chicken in soup?
You can make this chicken vegetable soup recipe (and other kinds of soup) with raw chicken if you don’t have some cooked already.
If you are working with raw chicken, add it when you add the rest of your vegetables. You can cut it in cubes first so it cooks quickly. Plus, when you saute it with the vegetables, the edges have a chance to brown and will create a rich flavor in the meat and the broth.
Test to make sure the chicken is completely cooked before serving. Chicken is done when it has reached an internal temperature of 165F.
Is it better to simmer covered or uncovered?
Simmering is cooking something- in this case vegetables- in a liquid under its boiling point. The broth should not be quickly bubbling during the 15 minutes of simmering. The heat is too high if it is.
Covering or not depending on what your goal is. Covering the soup pot traps more heat inside so the burner does not need to be set as high.
Also, there will be little evaporation if the pot is covered. In some cases, you will want to reduce the liquid. In this chicken vegetable soup, you still want an adequate amount of broth so we partially cover the pot with a lid.
How long can you store chicken vegetable soup recipe?
You can keep this soup in the refrigerator for three to four days if you used raw chicken. If you reheated cooked chicken, you will have to discard any leftovers.
You can also freeze chicken vegetable soup. Store it in an airtight bag and store it in the freezer for six months. Let it thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
Want more soup recipes? Try these 30 Healthy Soup Recipes!
Subscribe for new recipes & a free e-cookbook
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup white onion chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup carrot diced
- 3/4 cup zucchini diced
- 2 cups sweet potato diced
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 2/3 cups diced tomatoes from a can
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp dried Italian seasonings
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 5 cups organic vegetable broth
- 2 cups cooked chicken diced
- 1 cup green beans chopped
- ½ tablespoon roughly chopped fresh parsley
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over high heat.
- When the oil is hot, turn the heat down to medium.
- Add onion, carrot, and bell pepper.
- Sauté for 5 minutes or until the onions are soft and translucent. Don’t forget to stir occasionally.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except the chicken, green beans and fresh parsley)
- Bring to a boil and simmer partially covered for 15 minutes.
- Taste and add any extra seasonings, if necessary.
- Add chichen, green beans and cook for 5 minutes. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley before serving. Enjoy!
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.
If you like this Chicken Vegetable Soup recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.