Enjoy this filling Ground beef vegetable soup is easy to make and perfect for cold winter nights. Make this recipe for a comfort food dinner in just 30 minutes! This is a very satisfying soup and it’ll warm you up during the cold weather.
Soup is a great way to have a balanced and filling meal without a ton of work.
This Ground Beef Vegetable Soup uses simple, fresh ingredients to make a hearty, flavorful dish.
Even better, it’s naturally gluten-free, as well as Paleo and Whole30.
Looking for more healthy and delicious soup recipes? Try these ones too: Chicken Vegetable Soup Recipe, Turkey Vegetable Soup Recipe, Ground Beef Butternut Squash Kale Soup and Sweet Potato Chicken Soup Recipe.
One of my favourite things about fall is to make soups of any kind. I confess that I have an ongoing love affair with soups. I love them so much that I don’t even wait for the cold weather to have a delicious bowl of soup, even though I think soups taste even better during fall and winter.
I also can’t forget to mention that I adore how our home smells good when the soup is cooking on the stove. It reminds me of my childhood when my mom, after arriving from work, would make soup for me and my sister. Good memories!
I love this Ground Beef Vegetable Soup because it’s loaded with flavour and although this is a soup, is also a complete meal because it has protein, good quality carbs and other nutrients from the veggies.
This soup cooks very fast because all the veggies are diced very small and the only thing that will take more time is to cook the ground beef. This is definitely a colourful fall soup that not only you, but your entire family will love having around a fireplace or watching a fun movie. How nice is that!
How to make ground beef vegetable soup
It’s simple! Just combine ground beef, vegetables, and broth on the stove and simmer until done.
- Ground beef – use an extra-lean blend
- Garlic, minced
- White onion
- Potatoes – yellow varieties like Yukon Gold work best
- Sweet potato
- Green beans – fresh or frozen
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Chicken broth – or stock
- Tomato sauce
- Spices – garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper
- Garnish (optional) – chopped green onion or fresh parsley
- Ground beef – ground turkey or chicken are other lean meats that will work well
- Garlic – 4 freshly minced cloves is equivalent to the minced amount
- Onion – can be replaced with yellow or sweet onions as well
- Potatoes – red potatoes are a good replacement; Russet will work but may not hold their shape
- Broth – substitute equal amounts of beef broth or vegetable stock
To make this Ground Beef Vegetable Soup recipe low-carb, replace the potatoes with other root vegetables like cauliflower, turnips, celery root, or rutabaga. Parsnips and carrots can also be used, but they will make the overall flavor a bit sweeter.
Prep the ingredients
Wash and peel the potatoes and sweet potato. Then dice all of the vegetables so the pieces are about the same size.
Also, measure out the liquid ingredients and spices.
Make the soup
Next, brown the ground then remove from the pan and set aside.
In the same pan, sauté the garlic, onion, and celery until browned and fragrant.
Return the ground beef to the pan, along with both kinds of potatoes, tomatoes, broth, tomato sauce, and spices.
Stir to combine, then bring to a boil. Then, reduce the heat and simmer covered until the potatoes start to soften.
Finish and serve
Add the green beans and cook a few more minutes, until fork-tender. Also, adjust any spices as needed.
Spoon into bowls and top with green onions or fresh parsley.
Serve with a chopped salad or crusty bread if your diet allows.
- Dicing potatoes – It’s important to cut the potato pieces small enough to cook quickly. Otherwise, they will still be hard while the rest of the vegetables turn mushy.
- Storage and reheating – Store ground beef vegetable soup in an airtight container. Keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days and reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
- Freezing – Ground beef vegetable soup can be frozen for 3-4 months. Store in freezer bags or airtight containers, leaving room for the soup to expand. Defrost in the refrigerator before reheating.
- Make it vegetarian – Replace the ground beef with lentils or vegan crumbles to make this recipe meat-free.
- Adding more vegetables – This vegetable soup recipe is very flexible, so feel free to add in your favorite vegetables for more flavor. Just make sure to chop the pieces small enough so everything will cook in time.
More vegetable soup recipes to try:
Ground Beef Vegetable Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ lb extra-lean ground beef
- 2 tsps garlic — minced
- ½ cup white onions — diced
- ¾ cup celery — diced
- 2 cups sweet potato — diced
- 2 cup potatoes — diced
- 1 cup diced tomato — from a can
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 6 cups chicken broth
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 cup fresh green beans — diced
- 1 tbsp green onions — chopped
In a large pot over high heat, add olive oil and ground beef. Cook ground beef until it’s no longer pink. Set it aside.
In the same large pot, add garlic, onions and celery. Sauté for about 3-5 minutes.
Add sweet potato, potatoes, diced tomato, tomato sauce and chicken broth. Stir everything well. and bring it to a boil.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add garlic powder, onion powder and Italian seasoning.
Bring it to a boil and once boiling, put on the lid, reduce the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes.
Add green beans and cook for more 5 minutes.
Add the ground beef back to the pot and taste the soup. Add any extra seasonings, if necessary.
Serve in a bowl, sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley, and enjoy!
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1/4) — Calories: 281, Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 27mg, Sodium: 836mg, Potassium: 681mg, Carbohydrates: 32g, Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 7g, Protein: 16g
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!
If you like this Ground Beef Vegetable Soup recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you wanna taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, you are really appreciated for stopping by.