Love Potato Salad, but hate all the carbs and calories that come with it? How about trying this Cauliflower Potato Salad Recipe? It has all the flavors of the traditional potato salad, but it has no potato and it’s healthier!
Few days ago I was thinking what to do for lunch. I opened my fridge and I noticed I had a cauliflower head there waiting for me to eat.
I thought what I should make with this cauliflower since I already made lots of different recipes such as cauliflower pizza dough, cauliflower tots, mashed cauliflower, garlic parmesan roasted cauliflower, Mashed Cauliflower Shepherd’s Pie and so on. Then, I remembered that of the recipes that I’ve always wanted to make and I haven’t yet is the Cauliflower Potato Salad.
I guess I took time to try this recipe because I was a little skeptical if this Cauliflower Potato Salad tastes as good as potato salad. And I have to say that it DOES. Of course cauliflower and potatoes are not the same vegetable, but it has a very similar consistency to potatoes, for my opinion. On top of that what brings the real potato flavour to this Cauliflower Potato Salad is the typical seasonings used for potato salad.
The dressing is amazing and I love the fact that it’s a little lighter than the traditional potato salad dressing. For this dressing I used ½ cup of Greek yogurt instead of mayo because they say that even when you use light mayonnaise, it still has about 3 times more calories than Greek yogurt.
Also, Greek yogurt is loaded with good quality protein that makes us feel full, and probiotics that helps with digestion. So, it’s always good to replace Greek yogurt for mayo when we can. But of course I added only two tablespoons of light mayo to make it look like a real potato salad dressing.
Another flavourful ingredient is with Dijon mustard. It brings a little kick to it and more flavour. I also added garlic, because why not, right? Hmm… I love the strong garlic taste. I also added prosciutto instead of bacon. I think prosciutto in a potato salad makes a great addition and it was a good surprised in terms of flavour. But if you prefer stick with the crispy bacon, go ahead and do it 😉
And what about paprika and chives on top? Perfect touch! All these ingredients together make this Cauliflower Potato Salad tastes as good as the traditional potato salad, without all the carbs and the calories. Enjoy!
Cauliflower "Potato" Salad
Love Potato Salad, but hate all the carbs and calories that come with it? How about trying this Cauliflower “Potato” Salad? It has all the flavors of the traditional potato salad, but it has no potato and it’s healthier!
For the salad
- 1 medium/large cauliflower head, cut into florets
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- ½ yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 3 boiled medium eggs, chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground paprika (for topping)
- 2 slices of prosciutto, chopped (for topping)
- 1 teaspoon chives, chopped (for topping)
- Fresh dill, chopped (for topping)
For the dressing
- Steam the head of cauliflower by filling a large pot with about 2 cups of water and place a steamer basket in the bottom.
- Bring the water to a boil. Meanwhile cut the cauliflower head up into florets and remove the stem from the cauliflower.
- Place the cauliflower florets into the steamer basket.
- Cover the pot and steam until the cauliflower florets are fork tender (6-8 minutes).
- Remove from the heat and let the cauliflower cool down for 5 minutes.
- Place the steamed cauliflower in bowl and add all the remaining ingredients for the salad (not the ingredients for topping). Set aside.
- In a small glass bowl, add all the ingredients for the dressing and whisk everything together to combine.
- Taste to check the seasoning and pour over the salad.
- Mix all the ingredients together until well combined.
- Top with paprika, prosciutto and teaspoon chives. Enjoy!
Yield: 4-6, Serving Size: 1/6
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 152
- Total Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 99mg
- Sodium: 542mg
- Carbohydrates: 8.2g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 4.5g
- Protein: 11.4g
If you make this recipe, please don't forget to snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I really want to see!
Products Featured in this Recipe:
(may include affiliate links)
And if you like this Cauliflower Potato Salad recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you wanna taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google +, Instagram and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, you are really appreciated for stopping by.