Instant Pot taco soup is an easy way to enjoy the flavor of Mexican tacos, but without the hassle. Make this 30-minute, family friendly recipe for dinner tonight!
I have other quick Instant Pot Soups that you might enjoy too. Some of my favorites are Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup, Easy Instant Pot Chicken Stew and Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipe (Whole30 & Paleo).
Benefits of making Instant Pot taco soup
- Hands off recipe – This recipe requires just 10 minutes of prep work. After that, you can walk away for 20 minutes and let the Instant Pot do the work for you.
- Economical – Ground beef dinners are a great bang for your buck. Plus, aside from the meat, all you need to make this recipe are a few pantry staples.
- Family friendly – This taco soup isn’t very spicy at all, but it’s easy to customize! If you want to increase the spice level, it’s easy to do.
- Nutritionally balanced – With black beans, corn, tomatoes, healthy veggies, and lean ground beef, Instant Pot taco soup is full of protein, fiber, and nutrients. For a dose of healthy Omega 3 fats, add some avocado to garnish the top.
Recipe Ingredients and Substitutions
- Lean ground beef – Fat does provide flavor, so I like to use ground beef that has 15 to 20 percent fat. To reduce the fat and calories even more, you can use ground turkey or chicken
- Vegetables – Feel free to omit any these veggies. Or, add extra if your family enjoys them! My Instant Pot taco soup has carrots, onion, red bell peppers, garlic, and tomatoes. You’ll need frozen corn niblets as well, but that’s technically a grain, not a vegetable.
- Black beans – There’s a lot of protein and fiber in black beans, not to mention, they’re delicious! If you prefer something else, pinto, kidney, or white beans are great choices.
- Tomato sauce – If you’re watching your intake of salt and sugar, look for low sodium tomato sauce or sugar free sauce.
- Chicken broth – Any type of chicken, beef, or vegetable broth or stock will work.
- Seasonings – To add flavor, you’ll need chili, onion, and garlic powder. Also, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. If you don’t have all of these spices on hand, you can use 3 tablespoons of taco seasoning instead.
What to serve with Instant Pot taco soup
A great benefit to this soup is that it’s hearty enough to be a complete meal on its own. If you are looking to make it even heartier, you can serve it with a side of Avocado Tomato Salad or Golden Cauliflower Rice Recipe.
It would also be delicious with side dishes like flour tortillas, rice, or even corn chips.
Other Instant Pot recipes to try:
- Instant Pot Sweet Potato Kale Beef Soup
- Instant Pot Carnitas Meal Prep Bowls
- Instant Pot Mediterranean Chicken Recipe
- Instant Pot Sirloin Steak Strips Recipe
Instant Pot Taco Soup
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves - minced
- 1 cup white onion - chopped
- 1 red bell pepper - diced
- 2 medium carrots - diced
- 1 lb. lean ground beef - chicken or turkey
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn - frozen
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice
- Diced avocado and cilantro for topping
- Preheat your Instant Pot using the SAUTE function on the display panel and add olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add garlic, onions, bell pepper and carrots. Sauté for 5-7 minutes. Stir every couple minutes until the onions become translucent.
- Add ground beef, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, black beans, and corn. Stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the pot and make sure the pressure valve is in the sealing position.
- On the display panel, press the cancel/off button. Then select the MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK button and use the +/- buttons until the display says 7 minutes.
- When time is up, naturally release for 5 minutes before switching the pressure valve to the venting position. Open the lid and stir in lime juice. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro, sour cream or diced avocado. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!