Skillet chicken fajitas are an easy weeknight one-pan meal. This Tex-Mex favorite has healthy protein and fresh veggies all in one amazing yet simple dish.
Everyone loves tacos, but skillet chicken fajitas are a veggie-packed, healthy way to get that Tex-Mex taste.
Are skillet chicken fajitas healthy?
The fajitas themselves are simply sauteed chicken and veggies. As a result, it is a very healthy meal. Depending on your choices, the fajita toppings can add a lot of extra fat and calories to the meal.
For healthier chicken fajitas, choose toppings that are low in saturated fat and calories, and the ones that are good sources of healthy fats.
Try some of these healthy fajita toppings:
- Pico de gallo
- Low-fat sour cream
How to cook fajitas on a skillet
This is a one-pan meal with plenty of protein and veggies and the recipe is super easy to make.
- Slice the chicken into long strips (about the same length as the peppers and onions). Having thin slices helps them cook faster and more evenly.
- Allow the chicken to marinate in fajita seasoning for 15 to 20 minutes. You can also let it marinate longer if you are meal prepping your meat in the morning for a quick evening meal.
- Cook the chicken thoroughly and then remove it from the skillet.
- Next, cook the veggies. If you prefer crisp veggies, cook them a couple of minutes less than the recipe calls for. Add a minute or two if you like the peppers and onions to be softer.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet to combine with the veggies and then serve them up!
If you have a cast iron skillet, cooking the meal in it will produce the flavor of a grill without having to sit outside over hot flames.
What’s the difference between fajita seasoning and taco seasoning?
Taco seasoning has a lot of chili powder and red pepper flakes while fajita seasoning is a bit milder. It has chili powder and a bit of cayenne for flavor.
Because the spices in fajita seasoning are common pantry staples, it’s not necessary to use the store bought variety with lots of added preservatives!
How are chicken fajitas served?
You have a couple of options for serving this meal.
You can eat the chicken and veggies as is, or wrap everything in a flour tortilla. If you omit the tortillas, this dish is gluten free and low carb.
Either with or without the tortilla, you can add any toppings that your family enjoys. Setting up a fajita bar is a great way to serve a crowd. Another benefit is, there will be enough choices to please everyone.
Other Chicken Recipes to Try:
- Garlic Butter Baked Chicken Breast
- Spicy Chicken Meal-Prep Bowls
- Spicy Green Beans Chicken Skillet
- Chicken Salad with Spicy Mayo Dressing
- Chicken and Bell Peppers Skillet
- Spicy Chicken with Cauliflower Rice
- Chicken Fajita Meal-Prep Bowls
- Asparagus Sweet Potato Chicken Skillet
Skillet Chicken Fajitas Recipe
FOR THE FAJITA SEASAONING
FOR THE CHICKEN AND PEPPERS AND ONIONS
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic - minced
- 1.5 lb free range organic chicken breast - cut into thin strips
- 2 red bell peppers - sliced
- 2 yellow bell peppers - sliced
- 2 green bell pepper - sliced
- 1 medium onion - sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt and black pepper
- Avocado slices for topping
- Cilantro - chopped for garnishing
For the Fajita Seasoning
- Mixing all the ingredients from the fajita seasoning recipe in a small bowl. Set aside.
For the Chicken and Peppers
- In large bowl, add the chicken strips and half of the fajita seasoning. Mix all well to combine and set aside for about 15-30 minutes.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds but be careful to not burn it. Add the chicken and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Stir occasionally. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, pour more olive oil (if necessarand add onions, bell peppers and the rest of the fajita seasoning.
- Stir fry for 5-10 minutes on medium heat. The time will depend on how tender you prefer your veggies to be. Bring the chicken into the skillet again and mix everything well to combine.
- Top with cilantro and slices of avocado. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!