This gluten-free Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread is so simple to make and is absolutely delicious. Made with real pumpkin puree and mixed with chocolate chips, this pumpkin chocolate chip bread doesn’t require any fancy equipment!
If you’re looking for a simple fall recipe that you can bring your kids in to help with, this healthy pumpkin chocolate chip bread is for you! As this pumpkin bread recipe doesn’t require any fancy mixers, it’s a very kid-friendly recipe. Pass them a large mixing bowl and a spoon then have them measure and mix together the wet or dry ingredients and you’ve got a fun afternoon activity!
Perfect for breakfast or as a snack, this pumpkin chocolate chip bread only takes a couple minutes to put together and you wouldn’t even guess that it is gluten-free as well as paleo. It’s super moist, flavourful, and freezer friendly. So you can make two loaves and freeze one for later. The freezer instructions will be down below.
If you’re looking to bake some more after this healthy pumpkin chocolate chip bread, try my Paleo Chocolate Chips Almond Flour Banana Bread, Easy Low-carb Pumpkin Bread, Super Moist Gluten-free Banana Bread, Low-carb Blender Banana Bread, Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread and Dulce de Leche Banana Bread.
How to Make this Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread Recipe
- Eggs — room temperature is best
- Avocado oil
- Pumpkin puree — you can use canned or homemade. Here’s how I make homemade pumpkin puree.
- Coconut sugar
- Coconut flour
- Tapioca flour — might also be labelled as tapioca starch.
- Pumpkin pie spice — it is a mix of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and ground cloves.
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Pinch fine sea salt
- Chocolate chips
Prep the Oven and Pan
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and spray a 8 inch by 5 inch bread pan with non-stick spray. Then, line it with parchment paper. Set aside.
Mix the Wet Ingredients and Dry Ingredients Separately
- In a large bowl mix together eggs, oil, pumpkin puree, coconut sugar and vanilla until everything is well combined.
- In a medium bowl add all the dry ingredients (coconut flour, tapioca flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt) and mix well to combine.
Combine the Ingredients and Chocolate Chips
- Mix the wet and dry together until combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and fold them into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Add extra chocolate chips on the top of the batter if you desire.
Bake and Rest
- Bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Place the bread pan on a wire rack and let it cool down for about 1 hour before slicing it. Enjoy!
Tips and Notes
- Baking times may vary because ovens vary in power and efficiency. To check if your healthy pumpkin chocolate chip bread has baked through, poke a toothpick into the loaf. When removed, if the toothpick comes out clean, it’s done baking. If there is batter on it, continue to bake.
- Spraying the loaf pan and lining it with parchment paper makes it easier to clean your loaf pan and makes removing it a lot easier. Leave 1-2 inches of overhang so you can easier grip the parchment paper to lift your loaf out!
- Always try to use real vanilla extract instead of artificial for the best results.
- Be sure to double check that you are purchasing plain canned pumpkin puree without any additional sweeteners or seasonings/spices as that can change the flavour of the finished bread.
Recipe Variations For This Pumpkin Bread
- Chocolate chips can be swapped with any types of “chips” such as white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, caramel chips, etc in this healthy pumpkin chocolate chip bread. You can even do half-half mix of two flavours!
- You can also swap chocolate chips for pieces of chocolate instead. Just make sure you break them into manageable pieces.
- You can also top the bread with some chopped nuts and seeds for extra texture.
How to Store and Freeze Leftover Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
- Store leftover pumpkin chocolate chip bread in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a week.
- Freeze leftovers in a freezer safe bag (be sure to squeeze all the air out) after being wrapped in plastic-wrap for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge and bring to room temperature before enjoying!
More Fall Recipes You May Enjoy
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Casserole Recipe
- Pumpkin Alfredo Sauce with Italian Sausage
- Gluten-free Pumpkin Coffee Cake
- Whole30 Pumpkin Chili Recipe
- Tortellini Pumpkin Sauce
- Pumpkin Alfredo Sauce Pasta
Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 1 cup pumpkin puree — homemade or canned
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch fine sea salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips — save some for topping
Preheat oven to 350ºF and spray a bread pan (8 x 5) with non-stick spray. Then, line it with parchment paper. Set aside.
In a large bowl mix together eggs, oil, pumpkin puree, coconut sugar and vanilla until everything is well combined.
In a medium bowl add all the dry ingredients (coconut flour, tapioca flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt) and mix well to combine.
Mix the wet and dry together until combined.
Add the chocolate chips and fold them into the batter.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Add extra chocolate chips on the top of the batter if you desire.
Bake for 45-50 minutes. Baking times may vary because ovens vary in power and efficiency.
Place the bread pan on a wire rack and let it cool down for about 1 hour before slicing it. Enjoy!
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1/10) — Calories: 245, Fat: 11g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Monounsaturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 78mg, Sodium: 158mg, Potassium: 263mg, Carbohydrates: 31g, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 26g, Protein: 4g
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!