Simple and delicious, this Parmesan Brussels Sprouts Salad is the perfect crisp green salad to go with your next meal! This fresh Brussels sprouts are paired with parmesan and a citrus dressing is makes minutes to put together and doesn’t require any fancy ingredients!
Do you ever have those nights where you’re making dinner and realize you need an extra side dish? Sometimes I’m so caught up in making my main dish that I forget about making some vegetables to go with it! If that situation sounds familiar to you, then this parmesan Brussels sprouts salad is for you!
Made in 10 minutes with no cook time (yup – you can have Brussels sprouts raw! Just be sure to give them a good wash beforehand), this parmesan Brussels sprouts salad uses pantry staples. All you need to do is cut up the Brussels sprouts, shallots, garlic, juice a lemon, then combine everything in a bowl and you’re done!
You can even purchase pre-cut Brussels sprouts. It’s so simple that anyone can do it! If you like to bring your kids into the kitchen, this recipe is great for that. Pre-cut anything that needs to be cut and your kids can practice measuring ingredients then mixing it together!
If you want more easy and delicious salad recipes, try my Easy Coleslaw Recipe, Broccoli Salad Recipe, Shredded Brussels Sprout Salad, Warm Quinoa Brussels Sprouts Salad, Pomegranate Glazed Brussels Sprouts, Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Mayo Mustard Dressing, Garlic Parmesan Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Brussels Sprouts Bacon Salad.
This salad is not only great for weeknight meals but it a fantastic salad for a meal prep or the holidays. You can easily customize this recipe to make it more festive or to suit guests’ tastes. For example, some pomegranate seeds add a beautiful pop of colour on top of giving off Christmas-vibes or add some pumpkin seeds to it for an added crunch and Fall-vibes. The options are endless!
How to Make this Parmesan Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Brussels sprouts — trimmed, halved and chopped
- Parmesan — coarsely grated or chopped
- Lemon juice — from about 2 lemons
- Olive oil
- Dijon mustard
- Shallots — finely chopped
- Garlic — minced
- Freshly ground black pepper
Combine the Brussels Sprouts and Parmesan
- In a large bowl add chopped brussels sprouts and Parmesan. Mix well to combine.
Make the Dressing and Dress the Salad
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a medium mason jar. Close with the lid and shake well.
- Drizzle the salad with the dressing and toss well.
- Top with slices of Parmesan cheese before serving.
- Add in nuts and seeds for an extra crunch. Try shaved almonds, pine nuts, walnuts, or sunflower seeds.
- Add in some fruit for a pop of colour or as a sweet addition. Try pomegranate seeds, dried cranberries, or diced apples.
- Don’t have lemons for the dressing? Try orange juice.
- Don’t have enough Brussels sprouts? Combine other greens such as arugula, kale, or spinach make up the difference!
- To make it vegan, you can omit the parmesan and substitute with vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast for the nutty cheese flavour.
Tips and Notes
- Not a fan of chopping up all the Brussels sprouts? You can purchase shaved Brussels sprouts. You can also use a food processor or a mandolin to quickly chop it finely.
- Since this recipe really has two main ingredients, I suggest using a high-quality Parmigiano Reggiano so that you really get that deeply rich, nutty flavour.
- Be sure to remove any outer leaves of the Brussels sprouts that are bruised or have black spots. The quickest way is by cutting the stem off the base of the sprout and the outer leaves will either naturally come off or can be easily peeled off.
- If you are purchasing the Brussels sprouts in advance, to keep them fresh, store them unwashed, and untrimmed in a plastic bag in the vegetable crisper drawer of the fridge.
- Avoid using bottled lemon juice for this dressing. Use fresh lemons whenever possible as it is more flavourful and won’t have a bitter aftertaste to it like the bottled juice.
How to Make Ahead this Parmesan Brussels Sprouts Salad
If you want to meal prep or make ahead this parmesan Brussels sprouts salad, make the two components separately and store it in the fridge. You can add the salad dressing to the Brussels sprouts and parmesan when ready to serve. This way it doesn’t get soggy while it waits in the fridge.
How Long Will This Last in the Fridge
If you are making this ahead of time, each component will last for up to 4 days. Leftovers will last for less, around 2-3 days as the dressing will be absorbed by the Brussels sprouts and parmesan cheese.
Main Dishes That Pair Well With This Salad
- Garlic Butter Chicken Thighs
- Blackened Salmon Recipe
- Dijon Chicken Thighs Recipe
- Simple Garlic Butter Salmon Recipe
- Garlic Butter Scallops Recipe
Parmesan Brussels Sprouts Salad
FOR THE SALAD
- 1 lb brussels sprouts — trimmed, halved and chopped
- 1 cup coarsely grated or chopped Parmesan
In a large bowl add chopped brussels sprouts and Parmesan. Mix well to combine.
Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a medium mason jar. Close with the lid and shake well.
Drizzle the salad with the dressing and toss well.
Top with slices of Parmesan cheese before serving.
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1/6) — Calories: 250, Fat: 23g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g, Monounsaturated Fat: 13g, Sodium: 274mg, Potassium: 303mg, Carbohydrates: 8g, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 2g, Protein: 8g
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!