This Slow Cooker Beet Chili is all about the delicious combination of the sweetness of the beets and spicy flavors that can be found in a traditional chili recipe. Enjoy!
Beetroots are definitely one of my favorite roots. I enjoy not only their sweet, earthy flavor but also their powerful nutrients. I remember when I was a kid my mom used to make beet juice with orange for my sister and me every time we had a cold.
I grew up listening to my mom say, “drink beet juice because you are going to be healthier” 😉 and she was right. Many studies proved that drinking beet juice may help to lower blood pressure. Beets are also high in immune-boosting vitamin C, fiber, and essential minerals like potassium and manganese (which is good for your bones, liver, kidneys, and pancreas). So, there are lots of benefits to drinking beet juices. It is definitely one of my favorite juice along with green juice.
I know this is not a juice recipe post, but for so long, the only thing I used beet in was to make juices or soups. What a mistake right? I forgot that beets are delicious in so many other recipes too.
So, at the end of last year, I was thinking that I should cook with ingredients that I don’t regularly use and for this reason, I bought some stalks of leek and ended up making the delicious Leek Kalatama Rice I posted last Tuesday for you.
This was my first time making a slow cooker beet chili and it turned out very delicious. I think this beet chili is as good as the slow cooker sweet potato chili I made a few weeks ago. These two recipes are all about a delicious combination of the sweet and spicy flavors that can be found in a traditional chili recipe. I hope you give this recipe a try and taste the many layers of flavors in this dish.
Slow Cooker Beet Chili Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onions
- 2 garlic cloves — minced
- 3/4 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 cup yellow bell pepper — seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 cup turnip — diced
- 1 cup carrots — diced
- 2 cups beets — diced
- 1 can (19oz/ 540ml) diced tomatoes — undrained
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 can (19oz / 540ml) red kidney beans — drained and rinsed
- Chopped green onions for garnishing
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes, then add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds more.
- Add extra-lean ground turkey to cook, breaking up the turkey with a wooden spoon, until the turkey is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Pour browned ground turkey into slow cooker.
- Add celery, turnip, carrots, beets, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, ½ cup chicken broth, red pepper flakes, cumin, paprika, coriander, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir mixture, cover with a lid and cook on low heat for 5 - 6 hours.
- Add red kidney beans and allow to heat for about 10 minutes.
- Top with green onions.
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1/6) — Calories: 290, Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 25mg, Sodium: 575mg, Potassium: 1227mg, Carbohydrates: 42g, Fiber: 14g, Sugar: 13g, Protein: 24g, Vitamin A: 87%, Vitamin C: 173%, Calcium: 11%, Iron: 32%
If you make this recipe, please don't forget to snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I really want to see!
If you like this Slow Cooker Beet Chili recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.
Taste more from 50 Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes!