Sweet Potato Pesto Chicken Skillet is the easiest recipe you can prepare for dinner and it’s low-carb, gluten-free and one-pan, which is great to clean up!
If you visit my blog often you should know that I love ONE-PAN recipes. My site contains lots of healthy, gluten-free, low-carb, paleo-friendly and one-pan recipes such as this Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet, Shrimp Vegetable Skillet, 3-Ingredient Tilapia Skillet, and Ground Turkey Cabbage Skillet among many other healthy skillet recipes. But I didn’t have a single chicken skillet recipe with my favourite sauce in the world, which is PESTO! Oh Yes! I add pesto in pretty much everything I cook like soups, meatballs, pasta, beans and the list goes on and on!
So, few days ago I was on a mission to correct this omission by creating the easiest Sweet Potato Pesto Chicken Skillet ever, but yet tasty and perfect for a weeknight meal. I always believe that simplicity in cooking and baking is what makes any recipe turn out great. For me the good quality ingredients are what bring the recipe to another level.
I know many chefs and foodies think that the more ingredients you add to a recipe, the better the dish will tasty. But not for me! Simplicity is the key in my cooking. So, this Sweet Potato Pesto Chicken Skillet is simple and tasty just like all the one-pan meals should be. AMAZING! It’s so simple that I bet you have all the ingredients in your pantry to make this recipe right now.
I adapted this Sweet Potato Pesto Chicken Skillet from one of the most popular recipes on my site, this Asparagus Sweet Potato Chicken Skillet. Both are made with sweet potato, chicken and they are gluten-free, low-carb, paleo-friendly and one-pan. They both need only 25 minutes to be ready on the table and you can serve it with rice, quinoa or on its own.
Sweet Potato Pesto Chicken Skillet
- 2 free range organic chicken breasts without skin — diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp homemade pesto or any other store-bought pesto of your preference
- ½ cup red onion — chopped
- 2 garlic cloves — minced
- 3 cups sweet potato — diced
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 5 slices of mozzarella cheese or any other cheese of your preference
- 1 tbsp green onions for garnishing
- On a plastic board, cut the chicken into small pieces and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a cast iron skillet.
- Add the chicken and cook for a few minutes (it’s about 5-7 minutes) or until cook through. Don’t forget to stir well.
- Remove chicken from the skillet and place in a bowl.
- Add pesto into the bowl and mix well to combine. Set aside.
- In the same skillet addonions and cook turn translucent. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add sweet potato and chicken broth. Cook for about 7 minutes or until the sweet potato is tender.
- Add mozzarella cheese and put the lid on the skillet for 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and garnish with green onions.
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1/4) — Calories: 368, Fat: 14.4g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 53mg, Sodium: 381mg, Carbohydrates: 34.6g, Fiber: 5.5g, Sugar: 10.9g, Protein: 26.3g
If you make this recipe, please don't forget to snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I really want to see!
If you like this Sweet Potato Pesto Chicken Skillet recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you wanna taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google +, Instagram and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, you are really appreciated for stopping by.