Sweet Potato Pesto Chicken Skillet is the easiest recipe you can prepare for dinner and it’s low-carb, gluten-free and one-pan, which is great to clean up!
If you visit my blog often you should know that I love ONE-PAN recipes. My site contains lots of healthy, gluten-free, low-carb, paleo-friendly and one-pan recipes such as this Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet, Shrimp Vegetable Skillet, 3-Ingredient Tilapia Skillet, and Ground Turkey Cabbage Skillet among many other healthy skillet recipes. But I didn’t have a single chicken skillet recipe with my favourite sauce in the world, which is PESTO! Oh Yes! I add pesto in pretty much everything I cook like soups, meatballs, pasta, beans and the list goes on and on!
So, few days ago I was on a mission to correct this omission by creating the easiest Sweet Potato Pesto Chicken Skillet ever, but yet tasty and perfect for a weeknight meal. I always believe that simplicity in cooking and baking is what makes any recipe turn out great. For me, the good quality ingredients are what bring the recipe to another level, like this homemade Homemade Basil Pesto.
I know many chefs and foodies think that the more ingredients you add to a recipe, the better the dish will tasty. But not for me! Simplicity is the key in my cooking. So, this Sweet Potato Pesto Chicken Skillet is simple and tasty just like all the one-pan meals should be. AMAZING! It’s so simple that I bet you have all the ingredients in your pantry to make this recipe right now.
I adapted this Sweet Potato Pesto Chicken Skillet from one of the most popular recipes on my site, this Asparagus Sweet Potato Chicken Skillet. Both are made with sweet potato, chicken and they are gluten-free, low-carb, paleo-friendly and one-pan. They both need only 25 minutes to be ready on the table and you can serve it with rice, quinoa or on its own.
If you’re a fan of pesto like I am, you should also try my Pesto Shrimp Tomato Salad Recipe, Pesto Chicken Salad Recipe, Pesto Spaghetti Squash with Shrimp, and Sun-dried Tomato Pesto Shrimp Asparagus Skillet!
- 2 free range organic chicken breasts without skin diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp homemade pesto or any other store-bought pesto of your preference
- ½ cup red onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 cups sweet potato diced
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 5 slices of mozzarella cheese or any other cheese of your preference
- 1 tbsp green onions for garnishing
- On a plastic board, cut the chicken into small pieces and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a cast iron skillet.
- Add the chicken and cook for a few minutes (it’s about 5-7 minutes) or until cook through. Don’t forget to stir well.
- Remove chicken from the skillet and place in a bowl.
- Add pesto into the bowl and mix well to combine. Set aside.
- In the same skillet addonions and cook turn translucent. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add sweet potato and chicken broth. Cook for about 7 minutes or until the sweet potato is tender.
- Add mozzarella cheese and put the lid on the skillet for 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and garnish with green onions.
- If you do not plan on peeling the sweet potatoes, you must scrub the sweet potatoes thoroughly. You can just peel it to make things easier.
- Make sure to dice the sweet potatoes uniformly, so they cook evenly. Make sure they're small, too, so they cook through.
- Use low sodium chicken broth when possible to control the salt levels in the dish.
- To store: Store the sweet potato pesto chicken in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- To reheat: Reheat the dish in the microwave until heated through.
- To freeze: Freeze for up to 3 months in a freezer-safe bag or container.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.
If you like this Sweet Potato Pesto Chicken Skillet recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you wanna taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google +, Instagram and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, you are really appreciated for stopping by.