This Spicy Salmon Sweet Potato Skillet recipe features perfectly seasoned and crispy salmon that is a great partner for the sweet potato and milted kale. It’s a delicious and healthy lunch or dinner for you and your family!
By now you probably may know my love for sweet potatoes and especially sweet potato recipes made in a cast iron skillet based on the amount of recipes I’ve been posting over the year such as Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet, Sweet Potato Shrimp Kale Skillet and Asparagus Sweet Potato Chicken Skillet to name a few.
I love these recipes because they’re simple to make, healthy, delicious and on top of that they are all make in one-pan, which makes clean up a breeze. As you can see this Spicy Salmon Sweet Potato Skillet recipe has everything you need to feed and nourish your family during your busy week.
This will definitely become one of your favourite recipes to make when you’re busy running errands all day. In less than 30 minutes this Spicy Salmon Sweet Potato Skillet recipe will be ready to serve on the table. And more important, you won’t need to duty lots of pans/bowls/sheets to make a complete dinner because it’s all in one skillet. There will be very few dishes to wash at the end of this family-friendly meal!
Tips to Make the Best Pan-Seared Salmon:
- Cook the salmon fillet at room temperature: 15 minutes before cooking your salmon, remove from the fridge and leave it on the counter. This step is important because when cold salmon/fish is placed to a hot skillet, the fillets will probably cook unevenly.
- Dry your salmon fillet: Before placing the salmon fillets to the hot skillet, use a paper towel to pat dry each side of the fillet. This will help the skin to be crispy and it also will avoid the fillets to stick to the pan.
- Let the skillet to get hot: Heat the skillet over medium-high heat. Then add a little bit of olive oil and let it heat for 1 minute before adding the salmon fillets.
Now, after all these tips you’re ready to make this delicious meal! Enjoy and let me know how it turned out for you 😉
More Salmon and Sweet Potato Recipes to Try:
Spicy Salmon Sweet Potato Skillet
For the Salmon
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 medium salmon filets (wild salmon is always the best)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Remove the salmon fillets from the refrigerator about 15 minutes before you’re ready to cook.
- Using a paper towel, pat each fillet on the top and bottom to dry. This is an important step to prevent the fillets from sticking to the pan.
- In a small bowl, add paprika, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix everything well to combine. Season the salmon fillets and set it aside.
- In a cast iron skillet, add 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil over medium heat and let the pan heat up for a couple minutes.
- Add the fillets skin-side down to the skillet. Cook for about 6-8 minutes (time will depend on the thickness of the salmon fillet). Do not move the fillet. Wait and leave it be.
- Flip the fillets and cook for 2 minutes or so.
- Remove the salmon from the pan. Transfer the fillets to a paper towel-lined plate and set it aside.
- In the same skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Then, add onions and cook until onions are soft and golden.
- Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
- 10. Add sweet potato and ¼ cup of water to help to cook it faster. Close the skillet with a lid and cook the sweet potato for 2 minutes*.
- 11. When the sweet potatoes are cooked, add kale, salt, pepper and chilli flakes. Mix everything well until the kale wilted.
- 12. Return the salmon to the pan. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!