This 3-Ingredient Tilapia Skillet with diced tomatoes and onions is a quick, easy, healthy, and delicious dinner for the whole family.
This recipe was first published on May 16, 2016. It was updated on August 9th, 2018 with new photos and more information about the recipe.
My husband had a 3-day work trip and since Thomas is still very small, my father-in-law came from Montreal to stay with me. We had a great time together especially because he is hilarious and such a good cook. He helped me a lot and I am so grateful for that. While I was taking care of my little baby boy, he was preparing delicious dinner recipes for us. Oh man… my mouth waters every time I remember those meals.
One of the recipes he made was this tilapia skillet. When I asked him how he made this recipe, he told me it was only made with 3 ingredients and I couldn’t believe it because it is such a flavorful dish. Normally when a recipe is so tasty, I tend to think it has a long list of ingredients. Is it only me who thinks this way? So, since I loved it so much, I decided to make it again.
It is a perfect recipe if you have less than 30 minutes to prepare a healthy meal for your family. I really love simple dinner recipes, especially because fish is the queen here. I grew up in a Brazil beach town and anywhere you go, you will see on the menu lots of fish dishes made in different ways; grilled fish, fish stew, roasted fish, etc. Fish is definitely part of my childhood good memories and I am always cooking it in my home, especially salmon. For example, last week I made this Garlic Buter Baked Tilapia Recipe (Web Story) for my family!
Subscribe for new recipes & a free e-cookbook
For this recipe, you will only need to sauté onions and diced tomatoes with olive oil in a skillet. Then, add tilapia and cook for less than 10 minutes. Of course, you need to season it with salt and pepper and DONE!! This is definitely the quickest and easiest tilapia recipe you will find out there, yet very tasty. When you are in a hurry, please try this recipe because I am sure you will spend only 20 minutes from preparing and actually cooking it. I am sure this tilapia skillet recipe will be a staple in your home and you still want to eat fresh, healthy, and homemade food.
What is a good side dish for this 3-Ingredient Tilapia Skillet recipe?
I like to serve this recipe with:
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Brussels Sprouts: Delicious Brussels Sprouts recipewith olive oil, parmesan and lemon juice.
- Spicy Baked Sweet Potato Fries: HEALTHY fries? These Spicy Baked Sweet Potato Fries recipe is delicious and it’s also Whole30, paleo and gluten-free.
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower: Perfect roasted cauliflower and it’s well seasoned with garlic, black pepper, paprika, and parmesan.
- Easy Mediterranean Salad: I also love this Easy Mediterranean Salad because of the sun dried tomatoes, since it adds lots flavour. Yum.
- Parmesan Lemon Asparagus Skillet: This is loaded with parmesan, garlic, lemon juice, dried oregano, and Italian seasoning. It goes so well with this tilapia!
Want to make another easy skillet meal for a weeknight dinner? Try my Creamy Parmesan Chicken Skillet! Or want another easy 3 ingredient meal? Try my 3-Ingredient Almond Flour Pancake Recipe!
3-Ingredient Tilapia Skillet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ medium white onion sliced
- 1 can (500ml) diced tomatoes (with the liquid)
- 2 fresh tilapia filets
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Fresh parsley for garnishing optional
- Green olives for garnishing optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion to the skillet. Sauté for 5 minutes until tender.
- Add diced tomatoes, tilapia fillets, salt, and pepper.
- Cover the skillet and cook for about 7-10 minutes until the tilapia is cooked through.
- Top with fresh parsley before serving.
- If you like easy recipes with fish, seafood and salmon, you will love this list of salmon and shrimp recipes that I made especially for you.
- If you are using frozen tilapia, make sure to fully thaw the fish before cooking with it.
- Try to buy filets that are similar in sizing so they cook evenly.
- Careful not to overcook the fish as it can dry it out.
- To store: Store in the fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
- To reheat: Gently reheat the fish and sauce on the stovetop when ready to enjoy.
- To freeze: Always allow the skillet to cool to room temperature before freezing. Freeze the fish and sauce in an airtight freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.
If you like this 3-Ingredient Tilapia Skillet recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.
Leave a Comment