Subscribe to receive new recipes!
Taste more! Sign up and you'll be getting to your inbox brand new content weekly such as recipes, cooking tips, videos and my FREE E-COOKBOOK.
Low-Carb Broccoli Tots Recipe – These veggie packed tots make a delicious, healthy and dairy-free snack/appetizer for you anytime of the day!
After I received many good feedbacks about the Cauliflower tots I decided to make the recipe again, but this time with broccoli. The recipes are very similar, but the only difference that I made was to squeeze the broccoli three times using two different kitchen towels. And I like the result because I could squeeze out more water, making these tots very crispy on the outside and soft from the inside.
Again I didn’t used Parmesan cheese because I would like to make them dairy-free and for this reason I added ½ cup of breadcrumbs instead of ¼ of breadcrumbs and ¼ cup of Parmesan. However, if you are a cheese lover you can add it and you’ll be please by the result.
This recipe also freezes very well and I defrosted them in a microwave for 2-3minutes. It will depend on the amount you put on the microwave to defrost and also on the power of your microwave. This recipe is great for your kid’s lunch bag, as a healthy snack alternative during the long afternoons at work or as an appetizer when you have friends and family over. Hope you enjoy it.
- 2 medium heads broccoli, cut into florets
- ½ cup small diced onion
- ½ cup small diced yellow bell pepper
- 1 egg + 1 egg white
- ½ cup finely ground breadcrumbs (Instead of ½cup of breadcrumbs, you can add ¼ cup of breadcrumbs and ¼ cup of Parmesan if you prefer. Since I want to make it dairy free I added ½ cup of breadcrumbs.)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- Salt and ground fresh pepper to taste
- Cooking spray or olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease a nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray or olive oil.
- In a large pot bring water to a boil; add salt, the broccoli florets and cook until it is tender. It’s about 3-5 minutes.
- Drain and blend in the food processor for a few seconds.
- Transfer it to a kitchen towel and wring out. You need to squeeze out water as much as you can. I made this recipe without squeeze out the water and the tots were not as crispy as when I squeeze out the water. I really think this process is very important. I changed kitchen towel and squeezed a second time and third time too.
- In a medium bowl, add all the ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Spoon about 1 or 2 tablespoons (depends on the size you want your tots to be) of the mixture and with your hands and make a tot shape (see the shape on the pictures).
- Place them on the prepared baking sheet and repeat the process until you don’t have any more broccoli mixture. The tots should be set 1 inch.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes. Turn them and bake for more 20 minutes or until crispy.
- Serve them with ketchup or any other dip of your preference.
If you like this Low-Carb Broccoli Tots recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you wanna taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google +, Instagram and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, you are really appreciated for stopping by.
More Low-carb Recipes: