This Slow Cooker Beet Chili is all about the delicious combination of the sweetness of the beets and spicy flavors that can be found in a traditional chili recipe. Enjoy!
Beet roots are definitely one of my favorite roots, because I enjoy not only their sweet, earthy flavor but also their powerful nutrients. I remember when I was a kid my mom used to make beet juice with orange for my sister and me every time we had a cold. I grew up listening my mom say “drink beet juice because you are going to be healthier” 😉 and she was right. Many studies proved that drinking beet juice may help to lower blood pressure. Beets are also high in immune-boosting vitamin C, fiber, and essential minerals like potassium and manganese (which is good for your bones, liver, kidneys, and pancreas). So, there are lots of benefits to drinking beet juices. It is definitely one of my favorite juice along with green juice.
I know this is not a juice recipe post, but I was talking about that because for so long the only thing I used beet in was to make juices or soups. It is so wrong, right? I think I forgot how beets are delicious in so many other recipes too. So, at the end of last year I was thinking that I should to cook more with ingredients that I am not very use to and for this reason I bought some stalk leek, made this delicious Leek Kalatama Rice and posted it last Tuesday for you.
This was my first time making a slow cooker beet chili and it turned out very delicious. I think this beet chili is as good as the slow cooker sweet potato chili I made few weeks ago. These two recipes are all about this delicious combination of the sweet and spicy flavors that can be found in a traditional chili recipe. I hope you give this recipe a try and taste the complexe layers of flavors in this dish.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 cup yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1 cup turnip, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 2 cups beets, diced
- 1 can (19 oz/ 540 ml) diced tomatoes, un-drained
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1⁄2 tsp ground coriander
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can (19 oz/540 ml) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Chopped green onions for garnishing
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes, then add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds more.
- Add extra-lean ground turkey to cook, breaking up the turkey with a wooden spoon, until the turkey is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Pour browned ground turkey into slow cooker.
- Add celery, turnip, carrots, beets, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, ½ cup chicken broth, red pepper flakes, cumin, paprika, coriander, salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir mixture, cover with lid and cook on low heat for 5 - 6 hours.
- Add red kidney beans and allow to heat for about 10 minutes.
- Top with green onions.
Want to browse all of my healthy recipe posts? Follow my Primavera Kitchen Board on Pinterest!!! I have great Pinterest Boards such as Healthy Dinner, Healthy Slow Cooker Meals and Soups and Stews.
If you like this Slow Cooker Beet Chili recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you wanna taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google +, Instagram and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates.
Taste more from 50 Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes!