This Chopped Salad with Tayberries is delicious. The tart flavour from the tayberries with some greens, red onions and chicken make this salad even better.
One of my favorite things to do with my husband is to go out for a long walk. I think it is a great way to spend time together because we can exercise, talk and see different things at the same time. We often walk around our neighborhood because we live in the downtown core where you can always find many interesting things on the streets. We always have fun doing it, specially now that it is summer time.
Few weeks ago, my husband and I were walking again close by our home and we saw a new and small farmers market where we find only fresh local fruits and veggies. He promptly asked if I would like to get to know the store and I said YES, OF COURSE. There were so many fresh and juicy fruits, but the one that grabbed my attention the most was a little and red fruit called tayberry.
It was totally new for me. When the saleswoman said the name of this fruit I asked immediately “how do you spell this name, please?” cause English is not my first language and every time I hear a new word I just can memorize this word if I know how to spell it. I am a very visual person, so I have to visualize the name in my head to memorize it… Anyway, then she explained to me that this fruit is a cross between a blackberry and red raspberry.
So, to get on with this story, we bought a little tayberry box just to know how it tastes. We enjoyed having them naturally, but since tayberries have a strong and tart flavour I thought it could go really well in a salad. And I was right! This tart flavor with some greens, red onions and chicken brought this chopped salad to a different level.
Subscribe for new recipes & a free e-cookbook
Now, of course you can still be able to make this summer chopped salad with any other berries (like my Kale Blueberry Pineapple Salad) you have on hand. But if you have a chance to make with tayberries I am pretty sure you will enjoy it as much as me.
If you have extra fruit, you should try my Pomegranate Green Smoothie, Summer Fruit Salad, or my Easy Fruit Salad Recipe.
For more delicious salad recipes, you can visit my Salad and Salads Pinterest Board to find recipes like my Shredded Brussels Sprout Salad!
Chopped Salad with Tayberries
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup roughly-chopped toasted walnut
- 1 head Romaine lettuce finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh tayberries
- 2/3 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup homemade vinaigrette
- In a medium sauté pan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Season chicken breast with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken and cook for about 5 minutes on each side or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Set the chicken aside for about 8-10 minutes and then cut chicken into small pieces.
- In a medium size bowl, add all the ingredients, except the homemade vinaigrette. Mix all the ingredients to thoroughly.
- Then pour vinaigrette over the salad and toss really well. Taste and adjust the seasoning if you think it is necessary.
- Make sure to chop everything into bite-sized pieces so you get a bite of everything with each forkful.
- Don't have red onions? Swap for shallots.
- Careful not to overcook the chicken as it'll dry out. Allow the chicken to rest for a few minutes before cutting so it stays moist.
- To store: Put leftover salad into an airtight glass container and keep for up to 3 days. Store the dressing separately so the salad doesn't get soggy.
- To reheat: You can eat the salad straight from the fridge or keep the chicken separate and reheat the chicken only.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.
If you like this Chopped Salad with Tayberries recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you wanna taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google +, Instagram and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, you are really appreciated for stopping by.
Let’s make Homemade Basic Vinaigrette! It is so easy and very flavourful!
Fresh and Delicious Quinoa Salad with Roasted Asparagus!!
This Tabbouleh Salad is loaded with cherry tomatoes, cucumber and parsley!
This is a fresh and quick Quinoa Mediterranean Salad!
Leave a Comment