Last week after our trip to Argentina and Uruguay I finally had the time to cook and bake again. These two countries are well known by their dulce de leche and alfajores. Everywhere you go we see them and of course we want to eat them every single minute… (at least that is what happened to me… hahahaha). Since I loved their dulce de leche I bought two jars to make some Christmas treats. When I arrived in Brazil I was thinking about what to bake with that. I opened the pantry and saw some roasted cashews and a huge bag of chocolate chips that my husband bought for me months ago.
So, the only thing that crossed my mind was the chocolate turtles recipe. Instead of using pecans and caramel I replaced them for cashews and dulce de leche and I have to tell you – These were AH-amzing. I gave them to my neighbour and after trying them she said: “These turtles are INSANELY GOOD! You have to post this on the blog”. And that’s what I’m doing 😉 I have to share this recipe with you because it was really good. The salty roasted cashews with the dulce the leche bring out the best flavour of sweet and salty together. On top of that, this combo blends perfectly with the dark chocolate. I’m telling you these Cashew Dulce de Leche Turtles are a treat to die for!
I’ve never tried to make turtles before, but they are actually quite easy, assuming you are not going to make the caramel (in my case the dulce de leche). All you need to do is to melt the chocolate and the dulce the leche in the microwave. Than you are going to assemble the turtles. You have to make a small pile of cashews, add dulce de leche and chocolate on top of it and finally add some Christmas sprinkles. Now you have a simple, easy, gluten-free, and super flavourful new treat for Christmas to try! Hope you enjoy them!
If you’re in a holiday mood, you should also try making these Christmas Almond Chocolate Cups, Dulce de Leche Banana Bread, Gluten-free Dulce de Leche Mug Cake, and Cranberry Chocolate Chip Cookies. They’re always hits during holiday gatherings! Not to worry, my holiday seasoning diet isn’t just treats and desserts haha, I try to start the day with these Healthy Breakfast Meal Prep Bowls so I can spend the rest of the day enjoying the treats 😉
Please, if you recreate this recipe, please take a picture and hash tag #primaverakitchen on Instagram! I would love to see your version.
Christmas Dulce de Leche Cashew Turtles
- 2 cups cashew - I used roasted, lightly salted
- 1 cup dulce de leche
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup Christmas Sprinkles
- In a baking sheet, make small piles of cashews. About 5-7 cashews per pile. Be careful to not leave big gaps in the pile avoiding the dulce de leche to seep through.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, add the dulce de leche and heat on high power for 30 seconds to smooth it even more.
- Add 1 tablespoon dulce de leche to the top of each cashew pile.
- In another medium microwave-safe bowl, add the chocolate chips and heat to melt. It's about 1 minute on high power.
- Then add 2 tablespoons chocolate to the top of each dude de leche and cashew pile.
- Finally add Christmas sprinkles to each pile.
- Chili to make the Turtles to firm up before serving.
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!
And if you like this Christmas Dulce de Leche Cashew Turtles recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you wanna taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google +, Instagram and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, you are really appreciated for stopping by.
More Christmas treats: