This Whole30 Sweet Potato Chili Recipe is a hearty, no bean chili recipe, which is super simple to prepare ahead. It’s thick, rich, healthy and slightly sweet while spicy too. So good!
Probably you’ve noticed that here at Primavera Kitchen we love chilli recipes. I think I have about 4 chili recipes (ultra-easy Slow Cooker Chicken Chili, and Easy Slow Cooker Chili, which are simple, satisfying and an easy prep; Slow Cooker Beet Chili, which is all about the delicious combination of the sweetness of the beets and spicy flavours, and this Extra-lean Turkey Chili with Kale). So, now I’m here with this Easy Whole30 Sweet Potato Chili Recipe, which is very different from the other chili recipes, because it’s beanless and loaded with veggies.
This Easy Whole30 Sweet Potato Chili is delicious even without the beans.
That’s right. This recipe is perfect even though it doesn’t contain beans. Honestly being a Brazilian I love beans. Every time I have an opportunity to eat a good Brazilian bean stew I go for it. But when I’m doing Whole30 or when I’m trying to cut some carbs from my diet, I need to avoid beans.
I was curious to see how a beanless chilli whould taste and I was happily surprised by it. I thought I was going to miss the beans, but I actually didn’t. This Easy Whole30 Sweet Potato Chili is thick, rich and loaded with veggies such as sweet potato, butternut squash, onions, celery and bell pepper. It’s a perfect dinner for the whole family and it tastes really good also as leftovers for lunch.
Whole30 Sweet Potato Chili – Game Changing Recipe
Here is a list of 4 good reasons why this Whoel30 Sweet Potato Chili is a kind of meal that leaves everyone full, happy, and asking for more.
- Thick: This is very thick and creamy. It definitely doesn’t have a watery look and it’s totally different from a soup texture. It’s perfect to warm you up during the cold months.
- Beanless: Yes, this recipe is great if you are doing Whole30 or following paleo diet because it doesn’t contain beans, but you can absolutely add beans in there if you prefer. Just add them when your chilli is about 10 minutes from being ready.
- Super satisfying: One of the reasons I love this recipe so much it’s because it makes you feel so satisfied without eating a lot. It’s because it’s filled with protein from the ground turkey and lots of good roots such as sweet potato and butternut squash.
- Perfectly seasoned: If you love chilli, I bet you love spices, am I right? In this recipe we have chilli, paprika, cumin and coriander that go really well with the sweetness of sweet potato and butternut squash.
Can I make this Whole30 Sweet Potato Chili in an Instant Pot?
Yes, you can. Here is how you should make it.
- Set an Instant Pot to sauté and add the olive oil and when the oil is hot add celery, red onion and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Then, add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds longer. Add ground turkey and cook, breaking up the turkey with a wooden spoon, until the turkey is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (not the toppings) and mix everything well.
- Cover, seal, and set to cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Quick release to vent the remaining pressure immediately. If the chili is too thick after cooking, just stir well and add a little bit more of broth to get to your desired consistency.
- Taste to adjust seasonings if necessary. Before serving add the topping.
Can I make this Whole30 Sweet Potato Chili in a Slow Cooker?
Sure thing. Please, follow the step-by-step below.
- You just need to add olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add celery, red onion and sauté for 3 minutes. Then, add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds longer.
- Add ground turkey and cook, breaking up the turkey with a wooden spoon, until the turkey is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer everything to a greasy 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (not the topping).
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 3-4 hours or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
Don’t forget to top your Whole30 Sweet Potato Chili with avocado, fresh cilantro and jalapeño. Enjoy!
Easy Whole30 Sweet Potato Chili
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup celery — diced
- ½ cup red onion — chopped
- 2 garlic cloves — minced
- 1 lb grass-fed ground turkey — or ground beef
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup red bell pepper — chopped
- 2 ½ cups mushrooms — diced
- 2 ½ cups sweet potato — diced
- 2 ½ cups butternut squash — diced
- 3 cups diced tomato with juice — if you are using diced tomato from a can
- 1 cup tomato sauce — any tomato sauce that doesn't contain sugar
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Fresh cilantro — jalapeño and avocado for garnishing
In a large Dutch Oven Pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
Add celery, red onion and sauté for 3 minutes. Then, add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds longer.
Add ground turkey and cook, breaking up the turkey with a wooden spoon, until the turkey is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Add red pepper flakes, cumin, paprika, coriander, salt, and pepper to taste. Mix everything well.
Add red bell pepper, mushroom, sweet potato, butternut squash, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and chicken broth.
Stir mixture, cover with a lid and bring to a simmer. Cook the chilli for 30 minutes.
Serve with fresh chopped cilantro, jalapeño and avocado on top.
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1/7) — Calories: 298, Fat: 9g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Monounsaturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 37mg, Sodium: 523mg, Potassium: 1295mg, Carbohydrates: 41g, Fiber: 9g, Sugar: 14g, Protein: 17g
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!
If you like this Easy Whole30 Sweet Potato Chili recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.