This delicious Extra-lean Turkey Chili with Kale recipe is healthy, easy to make, gluten-free, low-fat, and perfect for a chilly day!
How are you? I am very tired because I just arrived in Canada after a 10-hour flight. I was in Brazil visiting my family and friends for about 2 months and now it is time to get back to my “real life”. I had such a great time down there, enjoying the beautiful and wonderful summer time and my nephew who was born last November. This time, it was really hard to leave Brazil because of my nephew. I was helping my sister with her new baby for one month and two weeks and during this time, I got very close to him. Don’t worry, I’ll talk about my vacation in Brazil in my next post.
I was missing my home, my Canadian friends, and family, but to be honest, this weather is totally disappointing. I know you may think, “why are you complaining about the weather if you lived in Canada for years. You should be used to it”. I have to agree and I don’t complain much about the COLD temperatures, because all the places are heated and if you have a good quality coat, you are totally fine. However, I really can’t get used to the dark days. For me, this is the worst part of the winter. When I wake up at 6:30 am is still very dark and when it is 4 pm it is already dark again!! Oh gosh!!
But, let’s talk about good things like delicious winter food!! Yes, I love winter food and one of my favorites is turkey chili because I love beans and all the spices we can add in there. It is warm and perfect for this time of the year. Soups (like my Spicy Carrot Soup) and chilis are my go-to.
So, I definitely love to have this dish at least one time per week. This extra-lean turkey chili with kale is very healthy because I used lean turkey meat to reduce the amount of fat and added the superfood kale since this green is packed with antioxidants such as vitamin C and beta-carotene. Got extra kale? Here’s How to Make Spicy Kale Chips! If you have extra ground try, try this Ground Turkey Cauliflower Rice Veggie Bowls (Meal-Prep)!
I hope you enjoy this recipe and give it a try. I promise this delicious and nutritious chili will help you to feel warmer this winter. Thanks a lot for reading. Want to browse all of my healthy recipe posts? Follow my Primavera Kitchen Board on Pinterest!!! For this time of year, I also have great Pinterest Boards full of awesome recipes like Healthy Dinner, Healthy Winter Recipes, Healthy Slow Cooker Meals, and Soups and Stews. I hope you enjoy all the delicious and healthy recipes I have there!!
Subscribe for new recipes & a free e-cookbook
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onions
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3/4 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 cup red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3 cups kale chopped
- 2 tbsp crushed red pepper
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 can 19 oz/ 540 ml diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 can 19 oz/540 ml red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- Salt and ground black pepper
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add olive oil and sauté onions until they are translucent.
- Add garlic and sauté until you can smell garlic aroma.
- Add ground turkey and cook for 10 minutes and stirring occasionally.
- Add pepper, celery, and carrots. Stir until combined.
- Add all the spices, tomatoes, and the beans. Heat to a boil for a few minutes, stirring constantly. Then reduce heat to low.
- Cook on low heat for about 2 hours. Add kale and cook for more 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper for taste and adjust if necessary.
- Make sure all your veggies are diced finely so they blend in with the chili.
- You can swap the kale for any other leafy greens.
- You can swap the kidney beans for black beans or pinto beans.
- To store: To store leftovers, transfer the chili to an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 4 days.
- To reheat: You can reheat chili in the microwave or stovetop.
- To freeze: Freeze chili in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.
If you like this Extra-lean Turkey Chili with Kale recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.
More Kale Recipes
Easy and quick Sweet potato, Kale and Shrimp Skillet recipe!
I promise this Kale Sneak in Meatballs is as delicious as the traditional meatball recipes and healthier.
This Kale, Peppers, and Red Onions Pizza is made with whole wheat flour.