A keto smoothie is a great way to start your day. It’s packed with protein and healthy fats and is easy to make and transport.
Just dump all the ingredients into a blender to have a healthy breakfast or snack. This recipe is gluten and dairy free. It does contain peanut butter and almond milk, but you could replace that with sunflower butter and coconut milk to make it completely allergen friendly.
Smoothies are vegetarian and there are no dairy products in this keto smoothie so it is also vegan. This low carb version of a smoothie is keto and paleo compliant.
Avocado gives it a smooth texture and the bitterness of the kale is balanced by the almond milk and cinnamon.
Is almond milk OK in a keto smoothie?
Almond milk is keto approved. Like any food product, you do want to check the label first before buying it. Not all brands are created equal. Some add sugar to the milk, which would take you out of ketosis.
Plain almond milk is your best choice. Not only will it not add unwanted flavors to your keto smoothie, but it is sure to not have sugary flavors.
If you want to change the almond milk, other milk varieties you can use to thin out your keto smoothie are:
- Soy milk
- Whole milk or heavy cream in moderation
- Coconut milk
- Hemp milk
You are looking for drinks that are high in fat, moderate in protein and low in carbs.
What ingredients can you put in a keto smoothie?
Many commercial smoothies are packed with sugary fruits and yogurts. Thankfully, making your own is quick and easy.
I make this keto smoothie with kale and avocado in addition to protein powder and powdered peanut butter. Other options for keto-friendly ingredients are:
- Berries (you do have to be careful with fruit on the keto diet, but berries are one of the few that fits perfectly.)
- Chia seeds
- Flax seeds
- Hemp seeds
- Cocoa powder or cacao nibs (you can certainly satisfy your sweet tooth while still maintaining at keto diet!)
- Shredded coconut
How to choose a protein powder
Whey protein is the most common type of protein powder. It is a dairy product so if you are dairy free you will want to choose a different kind. However, it is a great choice because it is easily digested and has all the essential amino acids.
When choosing a protein powder, always find one that has no added artificial sweeteners. Lots of protein powder use stevia and xylitol, which are great natural sweeteners. Also, choose a protein powder that has a short ingredient list and is low in carbs. Below is the list of my favorite protein powders:
- Perfect Keto – This one is my favorite cause it’s gluten-free, dairy-free and it uses clean ingredients. There is not junk fillers.
- Vega Sport Premium Protein – This one is dairy-free, vegan and vegetarian too. However this is not keto friendly.
- Vega Protein & Greens Vanilla – This is vegan too and there is no soy. The flavour is good too. This is not keto friendly.
- Soy protein powder will help to build bone mass and is particularly helpful in older adults.
The Best Blender for Smoothie:
For sure to make a delicious smoothie you need a good blender that can crush ice into a drinkable slush and cut through frozen fruits, nut and seeds well. One of my favorite ones is the NutriBullet. I use this high-speed blender almost everyday to make my green smoothie. I love this one because it’s faster and stronger than the original, It’s simple to use and easy to clean.
Another one that I love is my Vitamix and it’s the the one item in my kitchen that gets used EVERY single day. It’s one of my favourite tools in the kitchen. I make smoothies, my low-carb blueberry muffins, my mashed cauliflower and lots of soups with it. It’s also make sauces, spreads and digs. I love it so much and really recommend it.
Keto Avocado Green Smoothie
- Add all the ingredients to a high speed blender and puree for about 30 seconds.
- Taste to adjust flavour and serve immediately.
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!