This keto smoothie recipe tastes great and provides healthy fats, lots of protein and necessary fiber, all in one glass. Better yet, the recipe comes together in less than 5 minutes and it’s sugar free! It’s a great healthy and filling breakfast or snack!
Ingredients to make this Green Keto Smoothie
- Avocado — peeled and pitted. I like using Hass avocados as they’re more flavorful. Avocados are such a great addition as they are high in healthy fats, fibre, full of vitamins and nutrients.
- Spinach or your favorite leafy greens — be sure to wash the smoothies beforehand, even if they’re advertised as pre-washed. Do not skip this ingredient if you want that boost in nutrients and fiber. Spinach is full of antioxidants as well as vitamins. Spinach is full of antioxidants as well as vitamins and nutrients as well.
- Unsweetened coconut milk or coconut water –I think this are the two best liquids to use in a green smoothie recipe. You can use any dairy free milk you prefer.
- Sugar-free vanilla protein powder — check out the recipe card down below for a link to my favourite one. You can also use a protein powder that contains monk fruit if you prefer.
- Peanut butter powder —I really love and highly recommend PB2. You can also add some flaxseed if you have it on hand.
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice — I don’t recommend using bottled lemon juice as there are preservatives.
- Optional berries – Since berries are lower in carbs, add some freeze or fresh strawberry or blueberries if you prefer.
- Top your smoothie with fresh mint and some blueberries.
What is good in keto smoothies
I love this healthy green smoothie recipe just the way it is, but here are some other low carb ingredients you may want to add to your green protein smoothie.
- Almond milk
- Flax seed
- Chia seeds
- Fresh or frozen berries
- Kiwi fruit
- Nut butter
- Flavored extracts, such as mint, vanilla, or almond
- Peanut butter powder
- Matcha powder
- Sugar-free Greek yogurt
- Fresh ginger and even turmeric to add extra flavor.
Tips to keep this Keto smoothie fresh
The best time to consume this smoothie is directly after making it. Everything is still fresh, cold, and well combined.
However, if you want to drink it later, a protein green smoothie can be stored in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Store it in an airtight container, not your blender. Fill the container to the very top to keep any air out. Otherwise, the smoothie can pick up odors from nearby foods.
The colour of the smoothie might change as avocado oxidizes but it shouldn’t affect the flavour.
If your smoothie is very thick, you can serve it with in a smoothie bowl.
Use a very high-speed blender to blend all the ingredients well.
Subscribe for new recipes & a free e-cookbook
Keto Smoothie Shake
- Perfect Keto – This one is my favorite cause it’s gluten-free, dairy-free and it uses clean ingredients. There is not junk fillers.
- Vega Sport Premium Protein – This one is dairy-free, vegan and vegetarian too. It’s Keto friendly too because 1 scoop has only 5g of carbs.
- Vega Protein & Greens Vanilla – This is vegan too and there is no soy. The flavour is good too. This is keto friendly too because it 1 scoop has only 4g of carb.
- Soy protein powder will help to build bone mass and is particularly helpful in older adults.
Be sure to check for unsweetened protein powder as you don’t want to add artificial sweeteners and other fillers to the smoothies.
Fresh or frozen ingredients?
You can use fresh or frozen avocados and spinach for this green smoothie. It is definitely more budget-friendly and time-efficient to use frozen ingredients as you don’t have to wait for the avocado to ripen and risk the spinach goes bad before the avocado ripens!
There’s no need to thaw the frozen ingredients before blending them, like in my Mango Green Smoothie or Easy Apple Smoothie Recipe. Some frozen fruit like berries are good to add in your smoothie. I love mild sweetness of the berries and they are low-carb friendly.
It’ll definitely keep your smoothie cool and make the smoothie thicker, making it the perfect refreshing summer drink.
Frequently Asked Questions
Instead of spinach, kale can be used in its place. You can also use broccoli as well. Any green vegetable works!
You are welcomed to swap the coconut milk for any non-dairy milk of choice. Unsweetened almond milk, cashew milk, oat milk or other nut milk works wonderfully with this low carb smoothie recipe. But remember to stick with a healthy liquid base.
For sure to make a delicious smoothie you need a good blender that can crush ice into a drinkable slush and cut through frozen fruits, nut and seeds well. One of my favorite ones is the NutriBullet.
I use this high-speed blender almost everyday to have a creamy texture when I make my green smoothie. I love this one because it’s more powerful than the original and it’s simple to use and easy to clean. On top of it, high-speed blenders blend all the ingredients very well.
Another one that I love is my Vitamix and it’s the the one item in my kitchen that gets used EVERY single day. It’s one of my favourite tools in the kitchen. I make smoothies, my low-carb blueberry muffins, my mashed cauliflower and lots of soups with it. It’s also make sauces, spreads and digs. I love it so much and really recommend it.
Green vegetables will be an important part of your diet, no matter which you choose. Keto, Whole30, low-carb and more feature greens as a centerpiece.Vegetables do have some carbs, but they are so low you can easily maintain a diet of under 50 grams per day with a diet packed with fresh vegetables.This low-carb green smoothie recipe is a quick and easy way to get all of those healthy greens into your meal plan.The avocado provides a lot of healthy fats and the leafy green spinach has a serving of fiber.
Many ingredients suggested for smoothies, like fruits (banana and pineapple), have a high glycemic index. This means they will spike your blood sugar and insulin levels almost immediately. This is the exact opposite of what you are striving for on a low-carb diet.
The best way to reduce this effect is to add a mixture of protein, fiber, and fat to the green smoothie.
The combination of protein powder and the healthy fats in avocados makes this green smoothie recipe low carb and easy on your blood sugar. But if you want you can always add some berries in your smoothies. This low carb raspberry smoothie is AMAZING!
In addition, I prefer coconut milk in my smoothies. Not only does it create the creamiest smoothie ever, but it adds more healthy fats and is very low in carbs. And less but not least, you can add some keto chocolate in your smoothies too. It’s so good. Take a look at these Keto Chocolate Smoothie and Keto Avocado Green Smoothie I made few weeks ago.
Protein is absolutely necessary, whether you are trying to lose weight or not. But when you are being conscious of your eating habits, it becomes even more important.Getting enough protein will increase your metabolism and reduce your appetite. As a result, it encourages your body to burn excess fat.Smoothies are an easy way to add more protein to your daily diet. An extra spoonful of protein powder in this green smoothie recipe bumps up the nutrition and will leave you feeling full for a long time.If you want to change things up and enjoy smoothies throughout the week, you should also try my Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie and Mango Green Smoothie.
More Smoothie Recipes to Try
- Peach Green Smoothie Recipe
- Pineapple Green Smoothie
- Pomegranate Green Smoothie
- Cherry Pineapple Smoothie Recipe
- Peach Carrot Smoothie Recipe
- 1 medium avocado peeled and pitted
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 scoop of sugar-free vanilla protein powder I really recommend this one (It's my favorite and tastes really good)
- 1 tbsp peanut butter powder I really love and recommend this one from Naked.
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 ice cubes optional
- Some mint leaves
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and puree for about 30 seconds.
- Taste to adjust flavor and serve immediately.
- Click HERE to watch the web story.
- Unsweetened almond milk, cashew milk, oat milk, or other nut milk can be swapped for coconut milk.
- You can use frozen avocado instead of fresh avocado.
- The ice cubes will help the smoothie thicken. Skip them if you want the smoothie to be thinner.
- To store: Store the green smoothie for a day in the fridge but you’ll have to give it a mix as the ingredients may separate.
- To freeze: You can freeze the green smoothie in an airtight container with some space on top as the smoothie will expand as it freezes.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.
See my Web Story for this Keto Smoothie Recipe HERE.