This low carb green smoothie tastes great and provides healthy fats, lots of protein and necessary fiber, all in one glass. Better yet, the recipe comes together in less than 5 minutes!
Can you have greens on keto?
Green vegetables will be an important part of your diet, no matter which you choose. Keto, Whole30, low-carb and more feature greens as a centerpiece.
Vegetables do have some carbs, but they are so low you can easily maintain a diet of under 50 grams per day with a diet packed with fresh vegetables.
This low-carb green smoothie recipe is a quick and easy way to get all of those healthy greens into your meal plan.
The avocado provides a lot of healthy fats and the leafy green spinach has a serving of fiber.
Will low carb green smoothies spike my blood sugar?
Many ingredients suggested for smoothies, like fruits, have a high glycemic index. This means they will spike your blood sugar and insulin levels almost immediately. This is the exact opposite of what you are striving for on a low-carb diet.
The best way to reduce this effect is to add a mixture of protein, fiber, and fat to the green smoothie. The combination of protein powder and the healthy fats in avocados makes this green smoothie recipe low carb and easy on your blood sugar. But if you want you can always add some berries in your smoothies. This low carb raspberry smoothie is AMAZING!
In addition, I prefer coconut milk in my smoothies. Not only does it create the creamiest smoothie ever, but it adds more healthy fats and is very low in carbs. And less but not least, you can add some keto chocolate in your smoothies too. It’s so good. Take a look at these Keto Chocolate Smoothie and Keto Avocado Green Smoothie I made few weeks ago.
Are protein smoothies good for weight loss?
Protein is absolutely necessary, whether you are trying to lose weight or not. But when you are being conscious of your eating habits, it becomes even more important.
Getting enough protein will increase your metabolism and reduce your appetite. As a result, it encourages your body to burn excess fat.
Smoothies are an easy way to add more protein to your daily diet. An extra spoonful of protein powder in this green smoothie recipe bumps up the nutrition and will leave you feeling full for a long time.
What’s good in a low carb green smoothie?
I love this healthy green smoothie recipe just the way it is, but here are some other low carb ingredients you may want to add to your green protein smoothie.
- Almond milk
- Flax seed
- Chia seed
- Fresh or frozen berries
- Kiwi fruit
- Nut butter
- Flavored extracts, such as mint, vanilla, or almond
- Peanut butter powder
How do you keep a green smoothie fresh?
The best time to consume this smoothie is directly after making it. Everything is still fresh, cold, and well combined.
However, if you want to drink it later, a protein green smoothie can be stored in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Store it in an airtight container, not your blender. Fill the container to the very top to keep any air out. Otherwise, the smoothie can pick up odors from nearby foods.
Below is the list of my favorite protein powders:
- Perfect Keto – This one is my favorite cause it’s gluten-free, dairy-free and it uses clean ingredients. There is not junk fillers.
- Vega Sport Premium Protein – This one is dairy-free, vegan and vegetarian too. However this is not keto friendly.
- Vega Protein & Greens Vanilla – This is vegan too and there is no soy. The flavour is good too. This is not keto friendly.
- Soy protein powder will help to build bone mass and is particularly helpful in older adults.
The Best Blender for Smoothie:
For sure to make a delicious smoothie you need a good blender that can crush ice into a drinkable slush and cut through frozen fruits, nut and seeds well. One of my favorite ones is the NutriBullet. I use this high-speed blender almost everyday to make my green smoothie. I love this one because it’s more powerful than the original and it’s simple to use and easy to clean.
Another one that I love is my Vitamix and it’s the the one item in my kitchen that gets used EVERY single day. It’s one of my favourite tools in the kitchen. I make smoothies, my low-carb blueberry muffins, my mashed cauliflower and lots of soups with it. It’s also make sauces, spreads and digs. I love it so much and really recommend it.
If you enjoy this green smoothie recipe, you may like these other green smoothie recipes:
- Mango Green Smoothie
- Peach Green Smoothie Recipe
- Pineapple Green Smoothie
- Pomegranate Green Smoothie
- Cherry Pineapple Smoothie Recipe
- Peach Carrot Smoothie Recipe
Low-Carb Green Smoothie
- 1 medium avocado - peeled and pitted
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 scoop of sugar-free vanilla protein powder - I really recommend this one (It's my favorite and tastes really good)
- 1 tbsp peanut butter powder - I really love and highly recommend this one from PB2.
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and puree for about 30 seconds.
- Taste to adjust flavor and serve immediately.
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!
Watch below the Web Stories of this recipe: