It’s time to enjoy comforting food with this easy and quick to make One-pan Coconut Shrimp Curry. It’s made with onions, tomatoes, coconut milk, curry, and shrimp, ready in less than 20 minutes.
If you visit Primavera Kitchen often, you know I grew up in the Brazilian state called Bahia where seafood is very popular. Coconut is very popular because there are a lot of coconut trees around the coast of Brazil. I remember we used to drink coconut water almost every day. A lot of dishes are made with coconut milk too.
One of the most popular dishes in Bahia is the shrimp or white fish stew, which contains garlic, bell pepper, onion, tomatoes, coconut milk, and the dendê oil (palm oil). This is all sautéed and cooked over low heat and typically served with rice. You guys can’t believe how tasty this is. It’s so good and one of my favorite dishes in the world. Yummy! My mom used to make this dish for us on the weekends and I remember how much I enjoyed it. Good memories!
The recipe is very easy to make, but I don’t know why I have only made this recipe once since immigrating to Canada. I guess it’s because it’s not easy to find palm oil here. But I made my cauliflower curry recipe, reminding me of my mom’s fish stew … just because it has coconut milk in it. So, I thought I could try to make it again but this time instead of cauliflower, I made curry and the result was amazing!
Now that I know how tasty this One-pan Coconut Shrimp Curry recipe is, I’ll make it again and again, especially because my husband loved it too. This combo of coconut milk and curry is amazing! You will make it in less than 20 minutes and the best part is: You don’t even need a shopping list to go buy all the ingredients because you will probably have all of them in your kitchen.
This recipe calls for 2 cups of coconut milk, diced tomatoes, onions, garlic, bell pepper, green peas, shrimp, and lots of spices. But I think this recipe is delicious served over rice or on its own as a low carb option. On top of that, this One-pan Coconut Shrimp Curry recipe is gluten-free and paleo friendly too. Need another shrimp recipe, try this Shrimp Vegetable Skillet .
One-pan Coconut Shrimp Curry
For the shrimp
- 1 lb. shrimp - peeled and deveined
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp lime juice
For the curry sauce
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil - or if you prefer you can use olive oil
- 2 cups white onions - chopped
- 1 cup orange bell pepper - chopped
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cups diced tomato with the juice from the can
- 1 cup green peas - frozen or fresh
- 1 ¾ cups coconut milk from the can - not carton coconut milk
- Fresh cilantro or parsley for garnishing
- In a bowl add shrimp, salt, black pepper, and lime juice. Mix everything together and let it rest for about 15 minutes.
- In a large pot, add oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Sauté until onions are tender (3-5 minutes)
- Add cumin, coriander, curry powder, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine everything well.
- Add tomatoes and green peas. Stir in the coconut milk and bring to a boil. Cook for about 3-5 minutes. Bring to a simmer and add the shrimp to the pot.
- Cook everything together for 2 minutes or until the shrimp is pink.
- Before serving, garnish with chopped cilantro or parsley.
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!
And if you like this One-pan Coconut Shrimp Curry recipe, please share it with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipe updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.