This Low-carb Chicken Zucchini Enchilada is made with “zucchini tortillas” and is loaded with enchilada sauce, chicken, and cheese. It’s also gluten-free and very flavourful!
I’m going to start this post by saying that I LOVE this Low-carb Chicken Zucchini Enchilada recipe. I really DO. When I saw this recipe video on the Delish website, I was a little skeptical about cooking enchiladas with zucchini. However, it’s such a different recipe that I decided to adapt it from Delish. I’m glad to say that it turned out amazingly, and my entire family loved it! My husband even had seconds. And, I liked it so much that I will make future enchilada recipes with “zucchini tortillas.” 😉
I love this Low-carb Chicken Zucchini Enchilada because it’s lighter than the traditional recipe and also the filling is AMAZING. Zucchini is such a great vegetable to have on hand. I always use it to make low carb meals like my Sweet Potato Zucchini Casserole, Zucchini Casserole Recipe, and Zucchini noodles with Tomato Sauce and Shrimp.
This is definitely a great twist on this Mexican dish especially now that is it spring and summer will be here soon! Zucchini is such a hit throughout the season, so it is the perfect recipe to make in these upcoming months.
Also, this is a good recipe if you have lots of chicken leftovers in the fridge. To be honest, I didn’t cook a chicken for this recipe. The day before I made this recipe, I bought a roasted chicken at my local grocery store, and we had it for dinner with some veggies. The next day, I shredded the leftovers and made this Low-carb Chicken Zucchini Enchilada recipe.
Of course, any type of chicken meat works here. You can use chicken thighs, chicken breast, and so on. I also think that if you have ground turkey in your fridge, you could use that too. It’ll work just fine. Also, I used a store-bought enchilada sauce just because it was faster and easier.
I used two types of cheeses (Monterey Jack and cheddar), which went perfectly with this low-carb chicken zucchini enchilada recipe. Mm… So good!! This is definitely the perfect recipe if you are on a low-carb or gluten-free diet.
More low-carb zucchini recipes to try:
- Spinach and Zucchini Lasagna: This recipe is vegetarian, low-carb, and gluten-free. It is made with delicious homemade tomato sauce, skinny ricotta, mozzarella, and zucchini noodles.
- 5-Ingredient Chicken Zucchini Boats: These are super easy to make, and it’s a great way to use chicken leftovers.
- 4-Ingredient Chicken Zucchini Rolls: This recipe makes a super-easy, healthy, and delicious dinner for the entire family to enjoy!
See below for how to make this Low-carb Chicken Zucchini Enchilada Recipe:
Subscribe for new recipes & a free e-cookbook
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 cups free-range organic shredded chicken
- 1⅓ cups red enchilada sauce divided
- 4 large zucchini sliced with a mandolin or peeler
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- Sour cream for drizzling
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and salt.
- Cook until golden and brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, chili powder, shredded chicken, and 1 cup enchilada sauce.
- Stir well until combined.
- After that, use the remaining enchilada sauce to top the zucchini enchiladas.
- Sprinkle with the shredded Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Garnish with sour cream and cilantro, and serve.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.
If you like this Low-carb Chicken Zucchini Enchilada recipe, please share it with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Try these 10 Low-Carb Zucchini Dinner Recipes or 15 Super Easy Low-carb Dinner Recipes. They’re all packed with flavour and are so easy to make.