This Low-carb Chicken Zucchini Enchilada is made with “zucchini tortillas” and it’s loaded with enchilada sauce, chicken, and cheese. It’s also gluten-free and very flavorful!
I’m going to start this post saying that I LOVE this Low-carb Chicken Zucchini Enchilada recipe, just because I really DO. When I saw this recipe video on the Delish website, I was a little skeptical about cooking enchiladas with zucchini. However, I thought it’s such a different recipe that I decided to adapt this recipe from Delish. I’m glad to say that it turned out amazing and my whole family loved it! My husband even repeated the plate and I liked so much that I’m now thinking that future enchilada recipes will be made with “zucchini tortillas” 😉
I love this Low-carb Chicken Zucchini Enchilada because it’s lighter than the traditional recipe and also the filling is AMAZING.
This is definitely a great twist on this Mexican dish especially now that is spring and soon summer! Zucchini is such a hit throughout the season so it is the perfect recipe to make these upcoming months.
Also, this is a good recipe if you have lots of chicken leftover in the fridge. To be honest, I didn’t cook a chicken for this recipe. The day before I made this recipe I bought a roasted chicken at my local grocery store and we had it for dinner with some veggies. The next day I shredded the leftover and then I made this low-carb chicken zucchini enchilada recipe.
Of course, any type of chicken meat works here. You can use chicken thighs, chicken breast, and so on. I also think that if you have ground turkey in your fridge you can use too. It’ll work just fine. Also, I used an enchilada sauce from a store-bought brand just because it was faster this way.
I used two types of cheeses (Monterey Jack and cheddar cheeses) as well, which went perfectly in this low-carb chicken zucchini enchilada recipe. Mm… So good! This is definitely the perfect recipe if you are on low-carb and gluten-free diets.
More Low-carb Zucchini Recipes to try:
- Spinach and Zucchini Lasagna: It is vegetarian, low carb, and gluten-free. It is made with delicious homemade tomato sauce, skinny ricotta, skinny mozzarella, and zucchini noodles.
- 5-Ingredient Chicken Zucchini Boats: It’s super easy to make and it’s a great recipe to use chicken leftovers.
- 4-Ingredient Chicken Zucchini Rolls: This recipe makes a super easy, healthy, and delicious dinner for the whole family to enjoy!
Watch Below How to Make This Low-Carb Chicken Zucchini Enchilada Recipe.
Low-carb Chicken Zucchini Enchilada
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion — chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic — minced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 3 c. Shredded chicken
- 1 1/3 cup red enchilada sauce — divided
- 4 large zucchini — (sliced with a mandolin or peeler)
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- Sour cream — for drizzling
- Fresh cilantro leaves — for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and salt.
- Cook until golden and brown. It’s about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, chili powder, shredded chicken and 1 cup enchilada sauce.
- Stir well until combined.
- After that, use remaining enchilada sauce to top the zucchini enchiladas.
- Sprinkle the shredded Monterey Jack cheese and cheddar cheese.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes and until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with sour cream and cilantro and serve.
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1/12) — Calories: 154, Fat: 7.2g, Saturated Fat: 3.2g, Cholesterol: 41mg, Sodium: 245mg, Carbohydrates: 6.1g, Fiber: 1.7g, Sugar: 2.5g, Protein: 16.7g
If you make this recipe, please don't forget to snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I really want to see!
I really hope you enjoy this cake. And if you like this Low-Carb Chicken Zucchini Enchilada recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.