This Low-carb Chicken Zucchini Enchilada is made with “zucchini tortillas” and is loaded with enchilada sauce, chicken, and cheese. It’s also gluten-free and very flavourful!
I’m going to start this post by saying that I LOVE this Low-carb Chicken Zucchini Enchilada recipe. I really DO. When I saw this recipe video on the Delish website, I was a little skeptical about cooking enchiladas with zucchini. However, it’s such a different recipe that I decided to adapt it from Delish. I’m glad to say that it turned out amazingly, and my entire family loved it! My husband even had seconds. And, I liked it so much that I will make future enchilada recipes with “zucchini tortillas.” 😉
I love this Low-carb Chicken Zucchini Enchilada because it’s lighter than the traditional recipe and also the filling is AMAZING.
This is definitely a great twist on this Mexican dish especially now that is it spring and summer will be here soon! Zucchini is such a hit throughout the season, so it is the perfect recipe to make in these upcoming months.
Also, this is a good recipe if you have lots of chicken leftovers in the fridge. To be honest, I didn’t cook a chicken for this recipe. The day before I made this recipe, I bought a roasted chicken at my local grocery store, and we had it for dinner with some veggies. The next day, I shredded the leftovers and made this Low-carb Chicken Zucchini Enchilada recipe.
Of course, any type of chicken meat works here. You can use chicken thighs, chicken breast, and so on. I also think that if you have ground turkey in your fridge, you could use that too. It’ll work just fine. Also, I used a store-bought enchilada sauce just because it was faster and easier.
I used two types of cheeses (Monterey Jack and cheddar), which went perfectly with this low-carb chicken zucchini enchilada recipe. Mm… So good!! This is definitely the perfect recipe if you are on a low-carb or gluten-free diet.
More low-carb zucchini recipes to try:
- Spinach and Zucchini Lasagna: This recipe is vegetarian, low-carb, and gluten-free. It is made with delicious homemade tomato sauce, skinny ricotta, mozzarella, and zucchini noodles.
- 5-Ingredient Chicken Zucchini Boats: These are super easy to make, and it’s a great way to use chicken leftovers.
- 4-Ingredient Chicken Zucchini Rolls: This recipe makes a super-easy, healthy, and delicious dinner for the entire family to enjoy!
See below for how to make this Low-carb Chicken Zucchini Enchilada Recipe:
Low-carb Chicken Zucchini Enchilada
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion - chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 cups free-range organic shredded chicken
- 1⅓ cups red enchilada sauce - divided
- 4 large zucchini - sliced with a mandolin or peeler
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- Sour cream - for drizzling
- Fresh cilantro leaves - for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and salt.
- Cook until golden and brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, chili powder, shredded chicken, and 1 cup enchilada sauce.
- Stir well until combined.
- After that, use the remaining enchilada sauce to top the zucchini enchiladas.
- Sprinkle with the shredded Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Garnish with sour cream and cilantro, and serve.
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!
If you like this Low-carb Chicken Zucchini Enchilada recipe, please share it with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter, and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipe updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.