This Low-carb Lettuce Wrap Sandwich is a great option for lunch and a delicious alternative to the traditional wheat wrap. It only requires few ingredients and it’s also gluten-free and Whole30!
I love lettuce wraps! They’re very healthy (if you stuff it with good ingredients for your body), fresh, flavourful, and it fits any type of diet you are following. You can add only veggies and tofu and make a gluten-free/vegan/vegetarian wrap sandwich or you can add your favourite choice of deli meat. So good!
Another reason why I love this lettuce wrap sandwich is because you can make it in just few minutes and you can use any type of spread you prefer. I often use yellow mustard because I’m addicted to it and my homemade mayo. Great combo and goes really well with deli meat! But you can use other types of spread such as cream cheese, guacamole, green sauce, hot sauce too. The options are endless here.
What is the best lettuce to make this Low-carb Lettuce Wrap Sandwich?
I’ve made this wrap sandwich with lots of different types of lettuces and for this reason I can say that all green lettuces will work such as romaine lettuce, collard and kale (without the stems), butter lettuce and Iceberg lettuce. But I think the Iceberg lettuce is the best.
In my opinion, the Iceberg holds well, it’s crunchy and crispy and it’s not very tough to eat raw like kale or collards are.
How do you roll a wrap sandwich?
I have to be honest here and say that rolling the wrap for the first time it’s not very easy and it can be tricky. However, when you make this Low-carb Lettuce Wrap Sandwich more often, it’ll become easier to roll. The most important tip is: use a parchment paper.
When you layer the lettuces on the parchment paper, it will be your base for you to roll everything together and fold the sides in as you roll. On the recipe box below, I’ll give you the step-by-step about rolling your wrap sandwich.
What do you put on a wrap?
Well you have lots of options here such as:
- Egg salad
- Tuna salad
- Veggies such as bell pepper, onions, cucumber and tomatoes
- Slices of avocado
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Deli meat (turkey, ham, Prosciutto, mortadella, salami, and Italian sausage)
- Slices of roasted chicken breast
- Any spread of your preference such creamy avocado sauce, any sauce (but not very liquid), mustard and/or mayo (You can make this homemade mayo).
Low-carb Lettuce Wrap Sandwich
- On a cutting board, place the parchment paper.
- Layer 5 to 8 lettuce leaves (or any other green leave you prefer) in the middle of parchment paper and the sides of the lettuce leaves should be on top of each other leaving no space between the lettuces.
- Layer the topping by spreading first the mustard and mayo.
- Then, add Prosciutto and the slices of deli meat (ham and chicken breast), slices cucumber and cherry tomatoes.
- Roll the lettuce wraps by using the parchment as your base. Roll the lettuce wrap as tight as possible.
- Halfway through rolling, fold the edges of the wraps towards the center, and continue rolling like a burrito. When it is completely wrapped, roll the remainder of the parchment around the lettuce.
- Using a knife, slice the lettuce wrap and enjoy!
If you make this recipe, please don't forget to snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I really want to see!