Chicken and Bell Peppers Skillet is one of those dishes that will go to your family dinner rotation because it happens to please everyone. It’s seasoned with lots of spices and it’s also low-carb, paleo, and whole30 friendly.
If you love this recipe, I’m sure you’ll love this post with The 50 Best Chicken Breast Recipes From The Internet, and this Garlic Butter Baked Chicken Breast and Spicy Chicken with Cauliflower Rice.
This is a delicious chicken dish with lots of flavors that is easy and quick to make and will please you and your family. Why? Have you looked at these crispy chicken thighs? So yummy! The skin is very crispy and the meat is moist and tender. It’s everything we want in a chicken recipe!
Also, this chicken and bell peppers skillet is great for the busy weeknight dinnertime since it’s ready in less than 30 minutes.
I think it’s even better than the unhealthy classic fried chicken and this chicken and bell peppers dish just happens to be whole30, paleo, and low-carb. Wow healthy, but yet DELICIOUS!
What You’ll Need
- Chicken thighs — I use bone-in skin-on free-range organic chicken. Got extra chicken thighs? You need to try my Garlic Butter Chicken Thighs! You can also make this recipe with skinless chicken thighs.
- Seasoning — I use paprika, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and red chili flakes (or red pepper flakes).
- Olive oil
- Bell peppers — you can use whatever bell pepper you prefer but I recommend red and orange as they are sweeter than green bell peppers. Got extra bell peppers? Try making my Shrimp, Bell Pepper and Onions Skillet. Cut into strips.
- Red onions — also cut into strips
- Garlic clove — minced
- Fresh basil – garnish with basil or fresh parsley.
How Can I Make Chicken and Bell Peppers?
For this recipe, you will use bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, lots of spices, and a good cast iron skillet.
Subscribe for new recipes & a free e-cookbook
I love cooking chicken with the bone in because it keeps the chicken moist, juicy and brings more flavour to the dish. But of course you can use a chicken breast if you prefer. So, let’s make this recipe:
1. All starts with you heating a large skillet over medium-high heat. It needs to be very hot before you pour olive oil and chicken. This step is important to give the chicken skin the brown looking you’re looking for.
2. Then, place chicken in a bowl and season with all your favourite spices. You can’t go wrong here. Add all the spices you prefer. I love using paprika, garlic powder, salt and black pepper to taste.
3. Pour olive oil to skillet and then add chicken in the skillet, skin side down, and cook 4-6 minutes or until browned. The time will depend on how hot your skillet is. Turn chicken over and cook for 1 minute. Set aside. At this point, your chicken won’t be completely cooked.
4. Remove skillet from the heat, place in your countertop and add all the ingredients for the peppers (red bell pepper, yellow or green bell pepper) and onion in the same skillet you cooked chicken. Stir everything well to combine and bring chicken back to skillet on top of the peppers and onions.
5. Place the skillet in the pre-heat over and bake at 400°F for 15-25 minutes or until chicken gets the internal temperature of 165ºF.
What serve with chicken and bell peppers?
One of the reasons you’ll love this recipe is because this Chicken and Bell Peppers Skillet goes well with almost everything. I mean the list is endless. Feel free to serve it with…
· Mashed cauliflower, mashed butternut squash, or regular mashed potatoes
· Or even it on its own. It’s delicious anyway.
- Chicken thighs are cooked through once the internal temperature is 165 degrees. An instant-read thermometer is a very useful kitchen tool.
- Make sure to cut onions and bell peppers into similar-sized pieces. This helps ensure they are cooked evenly.
- Make a batch of these Low-carb Chocolate Muffins to enjoy after your dinner! They go so well together. These muffins are meal prep friendly as well so you can definitely make a batch on Sunday and enjoy as a post-dinner treat throughout the week.
- You can have this recipe on its own or you can serve it with some steamed broccoli too.
Meal Prep Tips
- Make sure to store all your portions in an airtight container. I use glass containers as they don’t hold onto any smells and are easier to clean.
- Be sure to keep the meals refrigerated until you’re ready to eat.
- This meal prep or leftovers will last for up to 4 days when properly stored.
- While you can freeze this recipe (red pepper freezes wonderfully!), I would suggest not freezing this recipe since the skin on the chicken thighs won’t be as crispy once you thaw and reheat the meal.
- Need a breakfast recipe to meal prep as well? Try my Healthy Breakfast Meal Prep Bowls as well!
- Want to swap the bone-on chicken thighs for boneless skinless thighs? You can simply sear the chicken thighs, 5-6 minutes per side and skip the baking part.
- Want to swap in skinless chicken breasts? Follow the instructions and use an instant-read thermometer to check for doneness instead of baking for 15 to 20 minutes.
- If you don’t have red onions, you can use a sweet yellow onion instead.
- If you don’t have an oven-safe skillet like cast iron, try making my Easy Baked Chicken Thighs (Web Story) and sauteeing the red onion and bell peppers separately on the stovetop.
- If you’re a fan of mushrooms, just add them in the skillet too. Sauté for few minutes. It will be delicious.
More recipes to try:
Chicken and bell peppers together are amazing and make a delicious combo. So, below I’ll share more recipes to try with these two ingredients:
· Chicken Fajita Meal Prep Bowls from Primavera Kitchen.
· One-Pan Mediterranean Roast Chicken from Primavera Kitchen.
· Baked Chicken and peppers from I Food Real.
· Easy Pepper Chicken Stir Fry from Spend with Pennies.
Chicken and Bell Peppers Skillet
For the chicken
- 4 free range organic chicken thighs bone-in and skin-on
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the bell peppers
- 2 large bell peppers 1 red and 1 orange, sliced
- 1 small red onion sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic clove minced
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon red chili flakes or ground chili pepper
- Salt and black pepper
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat in the stove. Meanwhile, in a large bowl place chicken and all the seasonings for the chicken. Mix everything well to combine.
- Add olive oil to skillet. Add chicken in skillet, skin side down, and cook 4-6 minutes or until browned. Turn chicken over and cook for 1 minute. Set aside (chicken won’t be totally cooked yet).
- Remove skillet from the heat and add peppers, onion, garlic, paprika, red chili flakes and salt and peppers. Stir everything well to combine.
- Arrange chicken on top of the peppers and onions and place the skillet in the pre-heat over. Bake at 400°F for 15-20 minutes or until chicken gets the internal temperature of 165ºF. Enjoy!
- Pat dry the chicken beforehand so the oil and seasoning will stick better.
- I like using red and orange bell peppers because they're sweeter than green bell peppers.
- An instant-read thermometer is a very useful kitchen tool as you can quickly check if the chicken is cooked through to 165F.
- To store: Store the chicken and bell peppers in the fridge for up to 4 days in airtight containers.
- To reheat: Reheat in the microwave until heated through.
- To freeze: Freeze everything in a freezer-safe bag or container for up to 3 months.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.
Watch the Web Stories for this recipe HERE.
Leave a Comment