Roasted Brussels sprouts are a healthy and flavorful side dish for any holiday meal. Their perfectly roasted and caramelized exterior will appeal to even the pickiest eaters in your family.
Roasted Brussels sprouts will add color and flavor to your Thanksgiving or Christmas table. The veggies are a healthy option for those who aren’t indulging in the main meat dish.
Additionally, this is a gluten free and low-carb side dish. Plus, it’s paleo and Whole30 friendly! It’s such an easy recipe to make. The mayo dressing is a unique flavor that adds something special to this traditional vegetable.
Are Brussels sprouts good for you?
Brussels sprouts are low in calories and high in a number of important nutrients. These tasty veggies will fit into any diet plan. They provide all of the following:
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin C
- Omega 3 fatty acids
Cleaning and Trimming
This Brussel sprout recipe requires very little prep work. While the stem of a Brussels sprout is technically edible, it takes much longer to cook than the rest of the sprout. Therefore, it’s best to remove them so the sprouts cook evenly.
- Cut off the stem end.
- While they may look (and taste) like mini cabbages, they do not need to be cored. The core holds them together while roasting.
- After trimming the ends, you can clean them in a bowl of cold water. Any sediment left in the sprouts will sink to the bottom.
- You can leave them whole, or if they are large, half or quarter them. Just be sure they are similar in size so they cook evenly.
- Remove and discard any discolored outer leaves.
How to roast Brussels sprouts
Follow these steps for Brussels sprouts with a roasted caramelized exterior and a soft interior. The complete Brussel sprout recipe is at the bottom of this post.
- Make the olive oil and balsamic vinegar sauce that will coat the Brussels sprouts
- Toss the Brussels sprout in the sauce to combine well
- Spread them evenly onto a baking sheet. Try not to let them touch one another. This way, they have the opportunity to brown on all sides.
- Roast for 15 minutes at 400 F.
- Flip the sprouts over and roast for another ten minutes.
- When finished roasting, the sprouts should be crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.
Can you reheat roasted Brussels sprouts?
If you have any of the delicious roasted veggies left over, store them in the refrigerator. I recommend reheating them in the oven. They will only take ten to twelve minutes at 350 F. to warm through.
Other Brussels sprouts recipes:
- Brussels Sprouts Bacon Salad
- Warm Quinoa Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Pomegranate Glazed Brussels Sprouts
- Shredded Brussels Sprout Salad
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Easy Baked Chicken with Brussels Sprouts
- Turkey Sausage Skillet with Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes
- Italian Turkey & Brussels Sprouts Meatloaf
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Mayo Mustard Dressing
For the Brussels Sprouts
- 1 pounds brussels sprouts — trimmed ends and cut in half or quarters.
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic — minced, chopped or crushed
- kosher salt and ground black pepper — to taste
Preheat oven to 400°F.
In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt and black pepper. Then add the Brussels sprouts and toss to coat evenly.
Add the Brussels sprouts, on the prepared sheet pan. Roast in oven for 15 minutes. Than, flip the sprouts and roast for 10 minutes more or until browned.
While the Brussels sprouts are roasting, make the dressing by combining mayo, yellow mustard, garlic, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper. Set aside.
When Brussels sprouts are cooked, toss them with the dressing. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1/4) — Calories: 157, Fat: 15g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g, Monounsaturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 6mg, Sodium: 1472mg, Potassium: 114mg, Carbohydrates: 4g, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 1g, Protein: 1g
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!