This Gluten-free Dulce de Leche Mug Cake is very moist, flavorful, and only takes 3 minutes in the microwave to be ready. Don’t have dulce de leche? Just use peanut butter instead and make it vegan as well!
I am back again with one more mug cake recipe for you. As I told you yesterday, this is a mug cake week on Primavera Kitchen and for this reason, I’ll be sharing three delicious, healthy, and gluten-free mug cake recipes for you to enjoy on-the-go. These recipes are a great option for you if you’re very busy during the day, but still want to eat a healthy snack, staying on track with your diet. One of the reasons I love mug cake recipes is because of the portion control. You know how much you’re going to be eating. Portion-control is a struggle for so many people so this is an excellent snack to prevent you from falling off the wagon.
This recipe is gluten-free because I used coconut flour and banana as a base. The banana helps the cake to be very moist. This flourless mug cake also has one tablespoon of my favorite sweet ever: Dulce de Leche. Since I’m in South America (Brazil), it’s very easy to find dulce de leche here. You can buy it anywhere from a big supermarket to a very small convenience store. This is very traditional here. We like to spread dulce de leche on a piece of bread or to add in cake recipes. I guess I can compare dulce de leche here with peanut butter in North America. You can even bake with it like this Dulce de Leche Banana Bread or Christmas Dulce de Leche Cashew Turtles.
You can order dulce de leche online here (affiliate link) or you can easily replace it with peanut butter or any other nut butter. Of course, the flavor’s going to change but it’ll be delicious anyway and if you use peanut butter, it’ll also become a vegan cake. This cake is ready in 2-3 minutes depending on the power of your microwave and the thickness of your mug.
You can make this recipe for your kids to bring to school or for you to bring to work because you can easily remove the cake from the mug and put in your lunch bag or you can make it already in a container that has a lid like a mason jar (affiliate link). Instead of microwaving the cake in a mug, you microwave it directly in a container that you will bring with you. Isn’t that very convenient? I just love it!!
Let me know which of my mug cakes are your favourite! You can find the other ones here: Top 8 Gluten-Free Mug Cake Recipes. Right now, my family’s favourites are my Gluten-free Chocolate Mug Cake and Gluten-free Mug Cake On-the-Go but I love this Dulce de Leche one just a bit more.
- In a small bowl, add the flour and baking powder. Mix well until combined.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and stir until mixed well.
- Pour the mixture into 2 small mugs.
- Microwave them for about 2-3mins. The time will depend on the power of the microwave and the thickness of the mug.
- Remove from the Microwave and top the cakes with a little bit of dulce de leche.
- Let them cool down for about 2 minutes before serving.
- Always double check that your baking powder has not expired as it'll affect the taste and rise of the mug cake.
- If you do not have a microwave safe mug, use a ramekin.
- If you're not sure if the mug cake is done, insert a toothpick into the center to see if it comes out with just a few moist crumbs stuck
- To store: this mug cake is best eaten immediately while still warm. If you must store it for later, keep it wrapped in the fridge for up to a day.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.
I would love to see your version. And if you like this Gluten-free Dulce de Leche Mug Cake recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.
More Mug Cake Recipes!