This easy low carb raspberry smoothie will satisfy your sweet tooth while leaving you feeling full. The smoothie recipe is keto, low in carbs and packed with healthy fat and protein. Great breakfast recipe to start your day well.
Are smoothies healthy?
Sure, smoothies are an easy meal replacement or snack, but are they good for you? It all comes down to what you put in them. I make them so often like my Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie and Keto Avocado Green Smoothie.
Smoothies run the risk of being high in sugar and low in nutrition if they are full of refined sugary fruit juice or yogurt. This healthy low carb raspberry smoothie relies on low calorie, high fiber fruit and non-dairy milk.
Raspberries pack a ton of antioxidants and vitamin C. They are high in fiber and low in carbs, making them a perfect sweet treat for low-carb eating. They have the added benefit of having lots of antioxidants that protect against cancer. I love raspberries, I use it all the time, like in my Raspberry Chia Pudding, Low-Carb Raspberry Chocolate Cake, and Healthy Blender Raspberry Ice Cream.
Avocado provides necessary and healthy fats. It is nutrient dense with nearly 20 vitamins and minerals. It is naturally sodium, sugar and cholesterol free. As a bonus benefit, avocado creates a smooth texture to the low carb raspberry smoothie.
Coconut milk also has healthy fats and contributes to the smooth texture. It has a high concentration of MCTs which encourage the body to burn fat.
A scoop of protein powder ups the nutritional value again. By choosing a protein powder with no added sugar, you are keeping the glycemic index low. Also, choose a protein powder that has a short ingredient list. Below is the list of my favorite protein powders:
- Perfect Keto – This one is my favorite cause it’s gluten-free, dairy-free and it uses clean ingredients. There are not junk fillers.
- Vega Sport Premium Protein – This one is dairy-free, vegan, and vegetarian too. However, this is not keto friendly.
- Vega Protein & Greens Vanilla – This is vegan too and there is no soy. The flavour is good too. This is not keto friendly.
- Soy protein powder will help to build bone mass and is particularly helpful in older adults.
The combination of healthy fats and proteins in the low carb smoothie recipe keeps it balanced for people with a variety of dietary needs.
How do you make a low carb raspberry smoothie thicker?
If you enjoy smoothies that are thick and creamy, here are some methods you can use to help achieve a milkshake consistency.
- Use frozen raspberries instead of fresh.
- Add some ice cubes to the blender. The more ice you use, the thicker your raspberry smoothie will be.
- Add an extra scoop of protein powder. Because it absorbs moisture, the powder acts as a thickener.
What are the best things to put in a low carb smoothie?
This low carb raspberry smoothie is a delicious and healthy breakfast on its own. If you want to add more variety to your daily smoothie, add some of these ingredients:
- Leafy greens like kale and spinach
- Nuts and nut butters
- Flax meal
- Chia seeds
- Sugar-free chocolate chips
- Flavored extracts, such as mint, vanilla, or almond
- Peanut butter powder
- Matcha powder
How do you keep a raspberry smoothie fresh?
The best time to consume this smoothie is directly after making it. Everything is still fresh, cold, and well combined.
However, if you want to drink it later, a Low Carb Raspberry Smoothie can be stored in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Store it in an airtight container, not your blender. Fill the container to the very top to keep any air out. Otherwise, the smoothie can pick up odors from nearby foods. If the smoothie separates, you can just give it a mix to blend everything back together. The colour of the smoothie might change as avocado oxidizes but it shouldn’t affect the flavour.
Alternatively, you can freeze the raspberry smoothie if you can’t finish it. To do so, you can add the smoothie to a glass mason jar, leaving some head room. Next, freeze the smoothie for up to 2 months. When ready to enjoy, allow the smoothie to thaw overnight in the fridge. Give the smoothie a stir before enjoying.
Fresh or frozen ingredients?
You can use fresh or frozen avocados and raspberries for this smoothie. It is definitely more budget-friendly and time-efficient to use frozen ingredients as you don’t have to wait for the avocado to ripen and raspberries can be expensive when no in season! There’s no need to thaw the frozen ingredients before blending them. It’ll definitely keep your smoothie cool and make the smoothie thicker, making it the perfect refreshing summer drink.
Can I swap the coconut milk?
You are welcomed to swap the coconut milk for any non-dairy milk of choice. Unsweetened almond milk, cashew milk, or other nut milk works wonderfully with this low carb smoothie recipe.
The Best Blender for Smoothie:
For sure to make a delicious smoothie you need a good blender that can crush ice into a drinkable slush and cut through frozen fruits, nut and seeds well. One of my favorite ones is the NutriBullet, just because it allows you to blend in the cup you’ll be drinking from. It’s so practical and makes clean up a breeze. Every smoothie I’ve made using it has turned out amazing!
Another one that I love is my Vitamix and it’s the the one item in my kitchen that gets used EVERY single day. It’s one of my favourite tools in the kitchen. I make smoothies, my low-carb blueberry muffins, my mashed cauliflower and lots of soups with it. It’s also make sauces, spreads and digs. I love it so much and really recommend it.
Other smoothie recipes to try:
- Super Energy Cranberry Apple Smoothie: Boost your energy in the morning with this Super Energy Cranberry Apple Smoothie that combines the tartness of the cranberry with the sweetness of the apple, the flavor of the coconut milk, and a pinch of cinnamon.
- Low Carb Chocolate Smoothie: A chocolate smoothie is a great way to start your day or to recharge mid-afternoon. This low carb smoothie will help you maintain your diet while you feel like you are indulging.
- Mango Green Smoothie: This is the fastest way to get more greens in your diet. Make this delicious Mango Green Smoothie and start your day right.
- Cherry Pineapple Smoothie Recipe: This cherry pineapple smoothie takes just minutes to make and is a great nutritional breakfast option.
- Peach Green Smoothie Recipe: This creamy peach green smoothie is a great start way to kick-start your day because it is loaded with minerals, vitamins, and fiber.
Low-Carb Raspberry Smoothie Recipe
- Add all the ingredients to a blender.
- Puree for about 30 seconds.
- Taste to adjust flavor and serve immediately.
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!