Subscribe to receive new recipes!
Taste more! Sign up and you'll be getting to your inbox brand new content weekly such as recipes, cooking tips, videos and my FREE E-COOKBOOK.
This Spinach and Zucchini Lasagna is vegetarian, low carb and gluten-free. It is made with tomato sauce, skinny ricotta, mozzarella and zucchini noodles.
Hello everyone, I would like to say thank to you for all your good wishes to be better I received last post when I was talking about my sciatic nerve pain. The good news is I am almost 100% better. My husband helped me a lot with his massage and some yoga exercise too, which I am not going to give up anymore. Nothing in life is more important than your health. So, don’t stop exercising because it is essential for a healthy body, life and soul 😉
That being said, why not celebrate health with this delicious and skinny Spinach and Zucchini lasagna?!! This is one of my favorite lasagna recipes in the world. Why? Because it is flavorful, but it is not full of carbs and fat like the traditional lasagna recipe.
Instead of lasagna noodles I used zucchini noodles. I sliced the zucchini very thin using my Stainless Steel Mandoline Slicer. It is a very cool and useful kitchen gadget. I got this last Christmas from my mother-in-law and I love it because it makes exceptionally even slices. It easy to clean but of course you have to be very careful since the blades are very sharp. I love to wear my cut resistant gloves when I am using my mandoline because it gives me more protection.
I also added spinach in the tomato sauce to load this winner lasagna recipe with more greens. I use skim ricotta and mozzarella cheese because I was trying to save some calories. Please, give this recipe a try. I am sure everybody in your home will love this vegetarian, low carb and gluten-free lasagna.
For more delicious and healthy recipes visit and follow my Primavera Kitchen Pinterest Board!
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- half onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsps tomato paste
- 1 28oz. can crushed tomatoes with the juice or 1 ¾ pound of fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 3 cups spinach
- 15 oz part-skim ricotta
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 medium zucchini, sliced ⅛" thick
- 16 oz part-skin mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ tsp parsley, chopped
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook 4-5 minutes until they are soft and golden.
- Add garlic and sauté, being careful not to burn.
- Add tomato paste and stir well. Add crushed tomatoes, including the juice in case you are using tomato cans.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Cover and bring to a low simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Finally remove from the heat and add fresh basil, spinach and stir well.
- Adjust the seasoning if you think it is necessary.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a medium bowl mix ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and an egg. Stir well.
- In a 9x12 casserole spread some tomato sauce on the bottom.
- Layer 5 or 6 zucchini slices to cover.
- Place some of the ricotta cheese mixture and top with the mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat the layers until all your ingredients are all used up.
- Top with sauce and mozzarella.
- Bake 30 minutes covered and 10 minutes uncovered.
- Let stand about 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with parley.
If you like this recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you wanna taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google +, Instagram and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, you are really appreciated for stopping by.
More recipe for you
You must try this Vegetable Lasagna Roll ups
This Skinny Lasagna Rolls is another recipe worth a try
Fresh and flavourful Zucchini noodles with Tomato Sauce and Shrimp