Subscribe to receive new recipes!
Taste more! Sign up and you'll be getting to your inbox brand new content weekly such as recipes, cooking tips, videos and my FREE E-COOKBOOK.
This hearty, healthy and comforting Sweet Potato Chicken Soup is made in less than 30 minutes. It’s low-carb, gluten-free and paleo-friendly too.
My one-year-old boy and I got a strong cold (you probably already know about that if you read the Warm Bacon Lentil Salad and the Shrimp Vegetable Skillet recipe posts) and just yesterday my husband got the cold too. Now three of us are sick. Not funny AT ALL. I was so tired yesterday that I felt like staying on the sofa all day long. So, that’s exactly what Thomas, my son, and I did. We watched tv more specifically cartoons all afternoon 😉
My husband got home a little earlier and asked “what for dinner”? Oh boy… he didn’t even wait for me to answer his question and said: I’m going to buys some food! I happily said “great idea”! And he bought a flavourful roasted chicken for dinner and some bread. I ate the chicken with salad and he made a sandwich for himself. Thomas preferred to have his banana apple puree baby food.
Since we had leftovers and Thomas was feeling much better I could cook and make for us this flavourful sweet potato chicken soup. I just feel when we are sick the best thing to eat is a warm, hearty and healthy bowl of soup, don’t you agree with me? This soup is ultra-easy that even someone who has a strong cold like me can make it. So, I made this sweet potato chicken soup for us and we all love it. Even Thomas ate and he asked for more!! I couldn’t believe!! I was so happy!
Also I decided to make it with lots of sweet potato because this veggie is packed with vitamin A, which is great as an immune booster. This is a quick weeknight Sweet Potato Chicken soup that will be good for all your family. It’s gluten free, kid-friendly, low-carb and paleo too. Because this soup is loaded with sweet potatoes, it is very filling and perfect for heating up for lunch the next day. It also stays good in the fridge for up 4 days. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup red onions, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups sweet potato, diced
- 5 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- ¼ cup peas
- ⅛ teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon onion powder
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Fresh parsley, chopped for garnishing
- In a large pot heat olive oil over high heat. When the oil is hot, turn the heat down to medium.
- Add onion and celery. Sauté for 5-7 minutes or until the onions are soft and translucent. Don’t forget to stir occasionally.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add sweet potato, chicken broth and crushed tomato.
- Bring to a boil and simmer partially-covered for 10-15 minutes or until the sweet potato is soft.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except the fresh parsley) and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Taste and add any extra seasonings, if necessary.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley before serving.
If you like this Sweet Potato Chicken Soup recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you wanna taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google +, Instagram and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, you are really appreciated for stopping by.
More soup recipes to try!