Subscribe to receive new recipes!
Taste more! Sign up and you'll be getting to your inbox brand new content weekly such as recipes, cooking tips, videos and my FREE E-COOKBOOK.
Delicious Homemade Tomato Sauce. Here is a recipe for a Basic Tomato Sauce made with with onions, garlic, olive oil, tomatoes, bay leaves and seasonings.
This is a very easy and tasty homemade tomato sauce recipe that you can keep in the fridge for one week. It’s always great to have on hand a homemade tomato sauce since it is the foundation for so many wonderful dishes like whole wheat pasta, chicken, fish, meatballs, lasagna, and even vegetables casseroles recipes. Also you can easily add ground meat, if you wanted, to make a meat sauce as well. Here is a recipe for a basic tomato sauce that starts with onions, garlic, olive oil, tomatoes, bay leaves and seasonings. You will be very pleased with how this sauce will end up. Let the sauce simmer for about 20 or 30 minutes.
But, if you have more time to prepare your dish, I suggest you let the sauce simmer for over an hour because the more you cook it the more flavourful it will become. However, it will be great cooking only for 20 minutes as well. Now, of course I think I don’t even need to mention the juicier the tomatoes the better the sauce will be.
So, let’s go to check the recipe because I am sure you will love this tomato sauce.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- half onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 28oz. can crushed tomatoes with the juice or 1 ¾ pound of fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 2 dry bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook 4-5 minutes until they are soft and golden.
- Add garlic and sauté, being careful not to burn.
- Add tomato paste and stir well. Add crushed tomatoes, including the juice in case you are using tomato cans.
- Add brown sugar.
- Add dried oregano, dry bay leaves, salt and pepper.
- Cover and bring to a low simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Finally, remove from the heat, add fresh basil and stir well. Remove the dry bay leaves. Adjust the seasoning if you think it is necessary. You can use this delicious sauce in your favorite recipes or you can pour the sauce in a mason jar and keep it in the fridge for about 3 or 4 days or you can freeze for months.
Want to browse all of my healthy recipe posts? Follow my Primavera Kitchen Board on Pinterest!!! I also have great Pinterest Boards such as Healthy Dinner, Healthy Pasta Meal, Healthy Slow Cooker Meals and Soups and Stews. I hope you enjoy all the delicious and healthy recipes I have there!!
If you like this recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you wanna taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google +, Instagram and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, you are really appreciated for stopping by.
Bring homemade Tomato Sauce in your life.
If you like this Roasted Root Vegetables with Thyme, please share with your friends and family. Do you wanna taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google +, Instagram and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates.
Delicious Recipes you can use Tomato Sauce!
What about to make this divine and gluten free Spinach Zucchini Lasagna!?
Or you can make this You can also try Skinny Lasagna Rolls are made with part-skim ricotta and mozzarella and whole wheat noodles.
If I was you I would love to have this Zucchini Noodles with Tomato Sauce and shrimp.